• Take a trial flying lesson in a fixed-wing or flex-wing microlight
• Ground briefing and explanation of the aircraft
• Learn how the controls influence the flight of the aircraft
• Opportunity to take the controls and fly the microlight for part of the flight
• 20, 30, or 60 minute lessons are available
What Can I Expect
Our best value microlighting lessons available nationwide! We are offering 20, 30 and 60-minute microlight experiences departing from airfields across the country. Your voucher is valid for all locations currently listed, making these microlight lessons our most flexible too.
All microlight experiences start with a pre-flight briefing, where you will be shown around the aircraft. The main characteristic is that it is really light (to be classed as a microlight it has to weigh less than 450kg). The basic principles of flight will also be explained - all fascinating stuff even before you've taken to the air!
Once securely strapped in, the instructor will handle the take off and climb. Having settled down into level flight, your pilot will demonstrate a few gentle turns and you will then be given the opportunity to try for yourself. You might not believe us now, but you'll find it's really quite easy (yet still totally thrilling!) to actually fly the microlight yourself.
Microlight aircraft are quite varied these days, with many clubs around the UK now flying modern fixed wing microlights that offer the comfort of a regular training aircraft, whilst others still offer flights in the flexible wing, 'open cockpit' style microlights, giving you that ‘open to the elements’ flying.
All microlight clubs and training schools we feature are part of the British Microlight Aircraft Association. As with all Into The Blue flying activities, all aircraft used on these microlight experiences comply with the British Civil Airworthiness Requirements issued by the CAA to regulate each aircraft, the manufacturer and pilots.
So if you want to buy a microlight lesson voucher that’s flexible, these nationwide vouchers are valid at over 20 different microlight schools around the country. With so many locations, you are never far away from an airfield offering flights in these ultra light aircraft. In just a few clicks you’ll have your best value microlight experience all sorted.
• Microlighting is available throughout the year at most venues where conditions allow
• Some flying venues are only operational at weekends
• You might prefer to take your flight in warm weather, as in some microlights passengers are exposed to the elements, however insulated flying suits are provided
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum weight of 15 stone (17.3 stone in Lancashire)
• Maximum height 6ft ins
• Spectators are most welcome to go along to the airfield to watch the take off and landing
• Facilities on site vary from location to location
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Flight times are 'chock to chock' so include taxi time
Location, Aircraft Type and Flight Durations available
• Bedfordshire, Sandy - Fixed - 30/60
• Berkshire, Hungerford - Fixed - 20/30/60
• Cambridgeshire, Ely - Flex - 30/60
• Co Durham, Shotton Colliery - Fixed - 30/60
• Derbyshire, Ilkeston - Flex 30/60
• East Yorkshire, Beverley - Flex & Fixed - 20/30/60
• Gwynedd, Caernarfon Airport - Flex - 20/30/60
• Herefordshire, Shobdon - Flex & Fixed - 30/60
• Hertfordshire, St Albans - Flex & Fixed - 30
• Kent, near Rochester - Flex & Fixed - 30/60
• Lancashire, Cockerham - Flex - 20/30/60
• Lincolnshire, Grantham - Fixed - 30/60
• Manchester, Eccles - Flex - 30/60
• Northumberland, Morpeth - Flex 30
• Oxfordshire, Oxford - Fixed - 20/30
• Powys, Welshpool - Fixed - 30
• Peterborough, Holme - Fixed - 20
• Scotland, Kinross - Fixed - 30
• Somerset, Templecombe - Flex & Fixed - 30/60
• Staffordshire, near Lichfield - Flex & Fixed - 30/60
• Surrey, Camberley- Blackbushe Airport - Fixed - 30
• Surrey, Redhill Thurs, Fri, Sat - Fixed - 30 (vouchers must be booked and redeemed before end Sept 2020)
• West Midlands, Stourbridge - Flex & Fixed - 30/60
'Flex wing' microlights have open style cockpits and a wing like a hang glider 'Fix wing' microlights have a closed cockpit and resemble your typical light aircraft