Vineyard Experience with Afternoon Tea
• Afternoon Tea including freshly made sandwiches and scones served with your choice of tea or coffee
• Brief history of the site and guided tour and tasting of 5 wines
• Please allow around 3 hours for this experience
Vineyard Experience with Lunch
• Tea or coffee on arrival
• Brief history of the site
• Guided tour and tasting of 5 wines
• Two course lunch served with wine
• Complimentary bottle of wine between two to take home*
• Please allow around 4 hours on site
* not included if purchasing a voucher for one person
What Can I Expect
Delve into the history of vines when you go wine tasting at Shropshire's oldest vineyard! Vines were first grown in this location in the heart of beautiful Shropshire in 50AD, when wine making was introduced to Britain by the Romans. This wonderful experience lifts the lid on the business of making and tasting wine at this Shrewsbury vineyard.
Today Wroxeter Vineyard has been revived as a modern working winery, home to an award-winning family run business that produces some of Britain's finest red and white wines. You are invited to tour this unique site, learn all about the story of wine making in the distant past, as well as seeing how it's done in the present day here at Shrewsbury, as well as tasting some of the superb wines made here and enjoying some tasty eats too.
Your wine tasting at this friendly Shropshire winery begins with a welcome to the vineyard and tea or coffee. The Roman history of the site and the modern day revival, thanks to farmer's son David Millington, will then be revealed in an informative talk.
Next up is the vineyard. You will head outside into the Shropshire countryside to get a taste of what actually growing grapes for wines involves. As you wander along the rows and rows of leafy vines, you will learn about why and how the grape varieties were chosen, their care and the qualities of soil and climate that help produce succulent grapes suitable for wine making.
Back inside the winery you will hear all about the production process, from pressing the grapes and corking the bottles, to adding the final touch; this Shropshire vineyard's label. A tasting will follow of the five wines, including a sparkling variety, all of which are produced in the vineyard.
Once you've heard and seen all about wine, the next step is to add food into the mix. So your wine tasting in Shropshire draws to a very convivial conclusion with either a two course lunch accompanied by wine, or a traditional afternoon tea. As a souvenir of the day you spent tasting wines in Shrewsbury, you will be given a bottle of wine to take away with you and of course, there is a shop where more wine and gifts can be purchased. You can even round off your day out with a wander around the adjacent lavender fields or saying hello to the vineyard's very own flock of Roman sheep!
• Selected weekdays and weekends between April and October
• Afternoon Tea tours start at 12 noon
• Lunch tours start at 10.30am with occasional evening tours available at 6pm
• All those tasting the wines must be 18 years of age
• The experience is not suitable for spectators
• There are good onsite facilities including toilets, gift shop and restaurant
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The Vineyard is located within 10 minutes of the M54, in Shrewsbury, Telford