• Welcome and safety briefing
• Receive instruction on how the jump will take place and landing procedures
• Allow up to 90 minutes preparation time for the jump
• One jump from the aircraft strapped to the instructor
• Bodysuit, helmet, goggles and gloves are provided
• All jumps are weather dependent
• Participants should allow a whole day until 20.30 or dark to complete their jump
Static Line Sky Dive
• Welcome and safety briefing by a highly qualified instructor
• A six hour sky dive course learning about launch and landing techniques
• Bodysuit, helmet and gloves are provided
• The jump after training may take place on the following day or, on long evenings in the summer the jump will be at the end of the day
• You may be in a group of up to 12 people
• Instructor ratio 1:12 people
What Can I Expect
Our Skydiving Durham experiences let you go for that big leap! Whether you choose a tandem or a static line jump, this small and friendly skydive centre just 10 miles from Durham is a fabulous place to make your first free-fall foray into the blue.
Based at Shotton Airfield, an ex-RAF station on the edge of Peterlee, this is actually the only skydiving school in the whole of the north east, so, as you can imagine, this centre attracts hundreds of budding skydivers from the Durham area and beyond to have a go at throwing themselves out of a plane.
So what skydiving options for those who fancy a bit of freefalling fantasticness? Well, you can choose from a tandem skydive or a static line jump here at Shotton. But of course, before you can dive into the sky above Durham, you'll need some intensive training from the in-house experts.
On arrival at the base you'll be met by the skydive team and introduced to the instructors, before tackling your first challenge of the day the Documentation, Orientation and Training programme. If you're on the tandem experience, the next hour and a half is spent being taught all the basics you need to know to be safe in the air; from learning what to expect once you're in the plane, how to exit the aircraft and the position to adopt during free fall and how to land safely.
You will then be taken up in the school's Cessna 182 or the Grand Caravan. You and your fellow jumpers will be feeling the anticipation kick in almost as fast as you climb to a dizzying 13,000ft. With your harness on, you'll be attached to your tandem instructor and before you know it you're on the ledge of the aircraft looking down over the patchwork Durham countryside ready to go skydiving!
Those who choose a static line experience will need to have nerves of steel, as you will be jumping solo, with instructors by your side, but you are essential responsible for your own canopy! Static Line is a quite a different discipline to other forms of sky diving offered here in Durham as it requires a minimum of six hours ground instruction. The way static line works is that a secure line will be attached to an anchor point in the aircraft, which will automatically deploy the parachute that's on your back. Once opened, you then float back down to Terra Firma, remembering what you've been taught about how to land smoothly and safely…
There's skydiving at Durham all year round, subject to the weather, on midweek and weekend/bank holiday dates. The vast majority of tandem skydivers get to train and jump on the same day here at Durham, whilst on the static line course this may not always be possible, with the jump scheduled for the following day or a forthcoming date. Worth noting though, is that fact that this Durham skydive school offers free overnight camping and caravanning on the airfield!
• Jumps take place on weekend January to late December and are subject to weather conditions; return visits may be required
• During British Summer Time on Bank Holiday Mondays, Wednesday and Friday afternoons
• Minimum age 16
• All under 18's must have written parental consent
• Any participant over the age of 40 must have doctor's declaration of fitness
• Maximum age 55
• Spectators are welcome
• Cafe, bar and restaurant facilities on site
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• An DVD is available to purchase on the day for approx £99
• Comfortable warm clothing with trainers should be worn
• Shotton Airfield, Durham