• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• Choose from a 2000ft lasting around 15 minutes, a 3000ft flight lasting aprroximately 25 minutes or the 5280ft mile high flight giving around 35 minutes
• Choose between a gliding experience or an instructional flight with an opportunity to take the controls
What Can I Expect
This small and friendly club offers gliding out of Warwickshire's Bidford Airfield, right in the heart of the Vale of Evesham. With easy access from Birmingham, Worcester, Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stratford-upon-Avon, it's an excellent choice of airfield for those wanting to soar in the skies coming from anywhere in the Midlands.
On a clear day your views from the glider can span from the Severn Estuary to the Cotswold Hills. But however far you can see when you go up, you will be awestruck by the beauty and silence. What's more, going gliding in Warwickshire is a little different from most...
That's because these flight vouchers are not for a certain duration, but a specific launch height. You'll be pulled by a tug plane and you can choose to be launched from either 2000ft, 3000ft or even a mile (that’s 5280ft!) above the ground. Once you've reached your chosen altitude, you'll be released by the plane and you'll enjoy the delight of silent glider flight. As a fun alternative to being towed into the air, you can also opt for a motor glider experience.
And whether you’re towed or your power yourself up there, what's rather fascinating when you’re released or the engine is switched off, is that you can find 'lift' in certain air conditions. That’s to say, you end up gaining height above and beyond the level you were released at, so even though you have no motorised power onboard, you can go up.
This all means that a 2000ft flight can last around 15 minutes, a 3000ft one in the region of 25 minutes and a mile high glide around 35 minutes, but it can often be even longer depending on gliding conditions. That’s why we like the fact that this club in Warwickshire goes for altitude rather than time.
As with most training gliders, the ones here in Warwickshire are tandem, which means the student gets to sit in the front cockpit and the pilot instructor behind. Clearly this means you get the best seat in the house, with an unobstructed view of the River Avon, Bidford and Evesham below.
You are sure to enjoy the atmosphere of this active owner-operated club for gliding at Warwickshire's Bidford Airfield. Whilst gaining a deeper understanding of glider flights, ground handling and glider launch procedures you get to have a go at the controls too.
• Saturdays, Sundays and Wednesdays
• Please note this experience is weather dependent
• The minimum age is 10
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum height 6'3"
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All instructors are BGA approved to teach gliding experiences at this airfield
• Annie's cafe is available on site providing a range of refreshments, snacks and meals
• There are plenty of local amenities and attractions for you and your family nearby and many local B&B's within easy reach of the airfield
• With the beautiful Cotswold villages nearby and Stratford just minutes away, why not make a weekend of your glider experience?
• Bidford Airfield in Warwickshire