• Learn to fly a Gyrocopter
• Choose from a 30 or 60 minute lesson
• A pre flight briefing and explanation of the controls
• An opportunity to take the controls
• Time flown will count towards your PPL G Pilots licence
• Flying suit, headset and helmet will be provided
What Can I Expect
Get the rotors spinning and hit the heights when you get airborne in one these gyrocopters over Wiltshire! It’s destination Clench Common airfield which sits just south of Swindon for a lesson in how to fly a gyrocopter from a seasoned pro. Here’s what you can expect…
A little bird told us that the chief gyro flying instructor Graham is a former British Champion pilot, so we think he knows a thing or two about how to get the most out of these superb little flying machines. In fact, the whole team here at Clench Common is highly experienced and dedicated to the joys of that open cockpit sensation you get when flying in a gyrocopter.
And if you’re thinking today’s gyroplanes are somewhat flimsy like Little Nellie from the James Bond films, think again. Technology has advanced in leaps and bounds, with high-tech, super light weight materials now being used and clever aviation boffins fine tuning designs to make gyros the fuel efficient, quiet and cheap to run rotary aircraft they now are.
This Wiltshire-based operator usually uses MTO Sport Turbo gyros for these trial flights. The German-designed aircraft was the first two-seater to comply with BCAR Section T, the toughest airworthiness standard for gyros. A fine rotary machine, the MTO cuts through turbulence (making it more stable that you could ever imagine) and boasts a 40knots wind tolerance.
Even if you don’t really know what all that technical lingo is about, it’s easy to see that these gyros are great fun to fly in. From within that open cockpit you get an amazing ‘front row seat’ onto the stunning Wiltshire scenery below. Depending on your flight duration and itinerary, you may well see the likes of the Kennet and Avon canal, Avebury stone circle, the Vale of Pewsey and even spot a crop circle!
For these flights in modern gyrocopters in Wiltshire, we are offering 30 and 60 minute lessons. Both durations ensure you have plenty of time for you to actually have a go at taking control of the craft and there will be a comprehensive ground briefing before you take off too.
• All flights are subject to weather conditions
• Flights operate Monday-Saturday subject to availability
• Minimum Height 1.57m (5'0'') - Maximum Height 1.98m (6'6'')
• Minimum Weight 55Kg (8st 9lb) - Maximum Weight 120Kg (18st 12Ib)
• You must be reasonably fit and in good health (Any concerns please check with your GP)
• Under 17s will require parental or guardian consent prior to flying
• Minimum Age of 14 provided they are tall enough to reach all of the controls
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Club House on site with tea and coffee facilities (Payable direct)
• Clench Common Airfield, SN8