• An open cockpit gyrocopter flight in a Magni M16
• 30, 60 and 90 minute flights are available
• Lesson time includes 5 minutes for taxiing
• A pre flight briefing and explanation of the controls
• An opportunity to take the controls
• A flying suit, helmet and radio comms are provided
What Can I Expect
Go skywards in one of the most gorgeous parts of the country on these gyrocopter flights from Oxfordshire! Get to see the Thames as you cruise over the Chilterns in an open-cockpit gyroplane around Goring - this is just the sort of terrain gyros were built for.
Arriving at Chiltern Air Park, you could be forgiven for thinking you’re in the middle of the Oxfordshire countryside, miles away from any busy airport. In essence you’re quite correct, because this is a charming, privately-owned aerodrome where waiting for take off slots and queuing to taxi just doesn’t happen. All this means the atmosphere here at Chiltern is welcoming and relaxed - perfect for taking your inaugural flight in a gyro.
Having said that, it is a rather unique set up at Chiltern Air Park. Look to one side of the road and you’ll see the hangar and clubhouse above it, look across to the other side and you’ll see the finely-mown grass airstrip. But despite the country road between the two, you still get excellent views of the line up of gyros that often fly in and congregate around the air strip and that’s what makes this place special - the number of gyro enthusiasts!
As for what you’ll be flying in, the two full time instructors (who have clocked over 2000 gyro hours between them) are dedicated Magni fans, so much so that they are agents for these Italian designed and built gyrocopters. For your flight you will most likely take off in a Magni M16, the popular trainer and tourer model. You’ll be sitting in tandem with your instructor and remember, with no propellor in front of you, you’ll have superb views all round.
And indeed, this is a lovely part of Oxfordshire. You’re in the Chilterns, right next to the weaving Thames and not far from Woodcote and Ipsden - classic English rolling fields of wheat and corn. You might be so enchanted by the view you’ll forget this flight can actually count as section 1a of the pilot syllabus, including your chance to have a go at the controls.
But what we love most about these gyrocopter flights from this Oxfordshire base is the fact that the Air Park is very gyrocentric, thanks to a very lively and active community of gyro owners and flyers, with quite a line up of gyros based here.
• Weekends and weekdays throughout the year
• All flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 14
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• You must be between 4'6" and 6'4" (137cm and 193cm)
• You need to be agile enough to get in and out of the gyrocopter
• No previous flying experience is required
• Front seat experience is at the instructors discretion
• Please seek medical advice if you have previously suffered a heart condition or other medical complaint such as back or neck problems
• This experience is not suitable for pregnant mothers
• All participants must complete an information sheet and waiver prior to flying
• Spectators are welcome to watch your gyrocopter flight
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants should wear comfortable outdoor clothing and closed-toe footwear
• Bring gloves to wear during the flight
• Enclosed cockpit flights are available for an additional charge payable when booking your date
• Chiltern Park Aerodrome, Wallingford, Oxfordshire