• A 6 hour full day cookery course
• Classes are tailored to suit your culinary abilities
• You may choose to eat in or take away the dishes you have created
• You will be in a group of up to 6 participants on the day
Choose from the following classes:
• Sample Asian spices and learn how to make a range of marinades, mains and desserts
• Master the skills of cooking everyday foods
• Learn how to prepare and cook fish and create pasta sauces from scratch
• Cook a range of nutritious suppers and Sunday Roasts
• Use traditional Thai spices to create light and delicate dishes
• Prepare and cook a selection of famous tapas dishes using classic ingredients such as smoked paprika, chorizo, sherry and ham
• Learn how to source fresh fish and get the most from buying and preparing delicious seafood
Middle Eastern Class
• Prepare and cook middle eastern dishes by blending an array of aromatic spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, saffron and rich roasted cumin in order to create your delicious and authentic dishes
• Cook and enjoy tasty and nutritional meals
• Learn how to make guacamole on toast, poached egg on tomato fondue, sea bass or mackerel with shaved fennel and salad, chicken fricassee with butternut squash and chickpeas
Pastry & Dessert Class
• Make both sweet and savoury pastries from scratch
• Once you have mastered the technique you will create recipes such as chicken and mushroom pie, feta and butternut squash filo tart, leek and gruyere parcel and apple tart
• Learn how to make profiteroles, chocolate fondant, panna cotta with a fruit coulis and a cheesecake
• Learn how to create delicious supper recipes for vegetarians
• Some of the recipes include walnut, sage and garlic pesto lasagna, aubergine parmigiana, spinach, leek and feta cheese pastries and a butternut squash and chickpea tagine
• Prepare exotic meals using Asian herbs and spices
What Can I Expect
Perfect preparation and sublime flavours mean delicious results when you spend a day at this cooking academy! This highly-regarded cookery school in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire opens the doors to a whole world of cuisine, offering small group lessons in a home-from-home setting.
The cooking academy is Kumud Gandhi’s creation and she, along with her fellow tutors, are all incredibly passionate and gifted cooks. But that’s just the half if it. Not only are they all highly skilled in the kitchen, they are also fab teachers. The setting helps set the scene too, with lessons at the cooking academy taking place in the large, very stylish domestic kitchen. It’s homely, with that modern farmhouse feel, stunning granite work surfaces and an outlook capable of distracting you from your workstations - the gardens are gorgeous!
The school's philosophy for food is fascinating. Cooking is seen as mix of science and alchemy, where blending and combining flavours, aromas and spices leads to delicious dishes. We’re sure Kumud's family’s background as chemists and spice merchants in India has influenced her cookery academy ethos of good, tasty cuisine for all.
Striving to use locally sourced, in season products that are organic wherever possible, they all firmly believe that the basis for making sophisticated dishes in a simple way is in using good ingredients. And indeed, whether you’re already a bit of curry connoisseur, love your dim sum dishes, or actually just want to see if you can cook at all (one of the most popular features on the beginner’s course is how to cook poached eggs - a true art form!), there’s a lesson on the menu for you at Rickmansworth.
The cookery school has a full and rich programme of one day courses and your voucher is valid for all the ones we have listed below in the full details.
Imagine yourself on a wander down the Ramblas in Barcelona on the Spanish Tapas lesson, discover the ying and yang of flavours in Vietnamese cuisine, plunge into the seas on a fish course, or get folding your flaky on the pastry course. A special mention for the nutritional class that shows healthy can be delicious and a vegetarian workshop to prove no meat doesn’t mean bland! If you love food you’ll love this cooking academy, it’s as simple as that.
• Selected dates throughout the year
• Classes usually run from 10am until 4pm
• It is recommended that comfortable clothing is worn as well as sensible footwear due to the practical nature of the class
• There is a minimum age of 16 years to attend these classes
• No previous experience in cookery is necessary
• Spectators are not permitted
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The cooking academy boasts large kitchens and demonstration areas for each chef
• Rickmansworth in Hertfordshire