'Wing Commander' Package
• Introduction and safety briefing in the original 1940's Control Tower
• Fly wing to wing with the spitfire in a 1940s de Havilland Dragon Rapide
• Champagne toast in the control tower after your flight
• Take a close up ground viewing of the spitfire and rapide with the opportunity to photograph them
• Pose for a professional photograph of you beside the spitfire
• Meet the pilots to find out more about these historic aircraft
• Lunch voucher for lunch at The Workshop
• View the IWM Duxford's historic and rare aviation collection
• Flight time in the rapide is approx 30 minutes with the spitfire flying alongside for approx 15 minutes. All quoted flight times are chock to chock
• Allow four hours for this experience, plus time to view the rest of the museum
'Air Commodore' Package
The ultimate wing to wing Spitfire package which includes all the content of the Wing Commander package, plus:
• Private guided tour of the Battle of Britain exhibition
• 20 min Flight in a Tiger Moth and the opportunity to take the controls
• Loan of leather helmet, jacket and goggles for the flight
• Signed logbook style record of your flight
• Personal DVD of your Tiger Moth flight
• Professional photo of you inside the Tiger Moth
• Presentation pack about the two aircraft including flight certificates, postcards and information on the aircraft, in a 1940's style folder
• Free entry to all public areas of IWM Duxford
What Can I Expect
Greet the pilots, meet the plane and fly with her on these luxury Spitfire flying packages! For these truly indulgent aviation experiences you will be heading to IWM Duxford in Cambridgeshire - a truly fascinating venue for any aviation fan, especially those with a passion for World War Two aircraft. On both experiences you will have a very full itinerary for the day.
The aircraft you will see and get up close to will most probably be N3200. This Mk1a Spitfire has a special story to tell. She was first delivered to this very airfield in April 1940, when she was placed with No 19 Squadron at RAF Duxford.
Spitfire N3200 flew only one mission, leading the charge to protect the Allied Forces during the ‘Operation Dynamo’ evacuation. Shot down over Calais, N3200 languished in a sandy grave at Sangatte, until she was discovered and recovered in 1986. Gloriously restored, she is now a magnificent sight flying in the air above her original home.
And of course, the main highlight of these superb packages has to be the moment you suddenly you hear the unmistakable sound of that glorious Merlin engine as you are flying in the Rapide. And then she comes into view. A splendid, genuine Second World War Spitfire is flying directly level with you making for a superb aerial show out of your window for around 15 minutes.
Once you've landed, the Spitfire flying may have ended, but the fun continues with a Champagne reception and ground tour of the Spitfire and the Dragon Rapide. This is when the pilots of these wonderful flying machines will be in attendance, so you can ask questions and find out just what it's like to pilot these incredible vintage planes. You are also welcome to take photos during the tour, giving you a once in a lifetime chance to get some impressive close ups, as well as a posing for a professional photograph of yourself next to the Spitfire that is included in these packages. You will then head for a tasty lunch at Winco Joe's restaurant at the airfield, after which you are free to explore the IWM Duxford.
If you go for the Air Commodore version of these Spitfire flying experiences, you get the added bonus of a guided tour around the Battle of Britain exhibition, ops room and control tower, as well as an amazing flight in a Tiger Moth, another favourite wartime classic aircraft, along with a signed logbook and photo too. These Spitfire flying days at the very fine IWM Duxford are truly outstanding days out for those passionate about aviation.
• Flights take place on selected weekends each month from April through to October
• All flights are weather dependent but don't worry if your flight is cancelled you can rebook for a convenient time
• Maximum weight 18 stone
• Under 16s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• You may be in a small group of up to 8 people
• You are welcome to bring friends and family along however they will need to enter the museum to view the flight
• Entry to IWM Duxford is compulsory for participants and accompanying guests. Guests will enjoy half price entry to the site, children under 5 go free
• There's a cafe on site
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Voucher holders also get free entry to IWM Duxford with discounted entrance for accompanying friends and family
• A visit to Duxford is a day out in itself so leave plenty of time to look around
• IWM Duxford, Cambridgeshire
• The venue is just off the M11 making it easily accessible from London