• The course lasts around three hours
• Operates on a 6:1 driver ratio, with drivers taking turns behind the wheel
• Tuition is not 1:1 as others will ride as passengers as the driving takes place
• There is usually a maximum of 12 drivers on the day
• This venue uses standard road cars BMW (rear wheel drive) and Rover (front wheel drive) cars on a low grip skid pan, cradles are not used
What Can I Expect
Try out the Castle Combe Skid Pan for sliding fun in the Cotswolds! On arrival at this skid control venue near Chippenham in Wiltshire, you'll meet the highly experienced team - most of whom, like chief instructors Jeff and Dave, are ex-Police fast response driver/trainers or ADI instructors - and listen to a short safety briefing before heading out to the pan.
This venue uses completely standard vehicles with normal road tyres. A non-toxic solution is mixed with water to turn the normal tarmac on this Castle Combe pan into a very skid-able surface for lots of driving fun. The first session lets each driver 'have a go' - and this is where you will discover just how easy it is to lose control of the car!
You will then receive a full 20 minute classroom session covering all aspects of skid control, including front wheel skids, rear wheel skids, four wheel skids, weight transfer, spin and under steer. Armed with all this knowledge, it's back out to the pan for a second go at slides and skids at this thrilling Castle Combe set up - and this time you'll be successfully controlling the car.
As well as the two sessions out of the Castle Combe skid pan, this half day experience also includes tutoring on Anti-lock Braking Systems and cadence braking, both essential factors to bear in mind when on the roads in hazardous conditions. To finish, you will take part in a fun time trial, complete with prizes for Castle Combe's winning skid pan driver!
• Skid control sessions run on Saturdays & Sundays and some Fridays
• More frequent skid control sessions are available in other regions on our
main skid control section
• All participants must be over 17yrs old, with a full driving licence
• This skid control centre in Wiltshire offers excellent viewing facilities over the skid course and welcomes family or friends as spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Castle Combe Race Circuit in Wiltshire
• Chippenham, Bristol and Swindon are within easy reach via the M4