• All experiences are run in small groups with a maximum of 6 participants
• The centre is not open to the public so your experience will be in a private and relaxed setting
• Plenty of photo opportunities
Raptor Experience for Two Offer
• Fly a variety of owls, hawks and falcons on the private 7 acre site
• Experience last approximately two hours
• Fly a variety of owls
• The species of owls flown will vary depending on the time of year. The selection includes: Bengal Eagle owls, Barn owls, White-faced owls, Long eared owls, Little owls, African Spotted Eagle owls and European Eagle owls
• Feed the owls and learn how they are exercised
• Sessions last approximately 1-1.5 hours
• Walk through a 600 acre wooded parkland with a Harris Hawk flying them to the glove
• Session last approximately 1-1.5 hours
• Learn about the history of the ancient sport of falconry
• You will assist with preparing a bird of prey to fly, weighing process and general husbandry
• Fly a selection of hawks, owls and falcons throughout the day
• Light lunch and refreshments are provided
• Souvenier certificate as a memento of your experience
• Session start at 10am and finish at 4pm
What Can I Expect
Happy birds, thrilled visitors and passionate hosts - that’s falconry in Shrewsbury for you! This is falconry at it’s most relaxed and friendly, as this centre is never open to the public, so all experiences are tailor-made, with the falconers being able to concentrate on you and the birds, making for insightful and totally hands-on meetings with the raptors.
The team here in Shrewsbury invites you to join a Hawk walk, take part in a raptor or Owl experience, or fully immerse yourself in the life of a falconer on the full day course. Whichever you choose, there’ll be a warm welcome from the humans and birds alike and plenty of time to take photos, ask all the questions you’ve ever wanted to and fly the birds too.
And whilst the falconers and their birds do the usual shows, school visits and weddings in Shrewsbury, around Shropshire and beyond, the everyday tasks falconers do back at the centre are truly fascinating; breeding, rearing, caring for and training the lovable raptor residents here in Shrewsbury. If you fancy finding out more about this work and all the other essential daily duties of a falconer, as well enjoying lots of flying, the full day course is definitely for you.
If you like the idea of taking a countryside stroll, the Hawk walk is a great choice. Pottering through the woods and fields (and there’s about 600 acres of Shrewsbury countryside to explore!) the gregarious Hawk loves nothing better than a bit of company, so they will follow you, sporadically flying right down to your gloved hand as you go. Wonderful
And out and out favourite with the younger falconers (and often the adults too) are the Owl experiences. The likes of Scoobie and Freckle are just two of the gorgeous, most ridiculously photogenic owls you could ever meet and on these sessions you will indeed have plenty of time to take pictures and fly some Owls too, with both indoor and outdoor arena available.
So whether it’s a Hawk walk, a raptor, Owl experience or a full day falconer experience, you know the birds and hosts will give you the very best introduction to the world of falconry in Shrewsbury, with lots of handling and flying time included for every participant.
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 12
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Spectators are welcome for an additional charge payable on the day £20 for hawk walks and raptor or owl experiences and £50 for full days to include a light lunch
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Wem, Shrewsbury, Shropshire