• Enjoy a gliding experience at your choice of location
• Flights last between 15-20 minutes, allow spending an hour on site
• Most venues operate aerotow launches as standard (winch launch sites are indicated below)
• The opportunity to take the controls during your flight
• All flights are preceded by a briefing and explanation of glider flight
What Can I Expect
Our nationwide vouchers for gliding at UK clubs give you maximum flexibility. Valid for your taster flight at glider training schools and clubs around the country, these vouchers are the best answer to the question ‘where can I go gliding near me?’.
They’re flexible because when you buy this voucher there’s no need to choose a location. With UK-wide aero clubs accepting Into The Blue vouchers, you can order your voucher today and let the lucky recipient choose where they go for their gliding experience.
Most sessions last approximately an hour in total, including a safety briefing and explanation of the basics of gliding. You’ll enjoy either one or two flights, giving you an overall flying time of around 15 minutes. During this time you’ll have the opportunity to take some stunning snapshots of the Great British scenery below, as well as the option to take over the glider’s controls for a short period of time.
Our hand-selected range of UK gliding clubs offer either winch and/or aerotow launches, or self-launching gliders, depending on the site. The full details of locations and what sort of glider flying they offer is in the ‘Where can I do this experience?’ tab.
Winch launches are via a ground-based cable, which pulls the glider forwards at a fast enough pace to create the lift needed to get the sailplane off the ground. For aerotow launches, the glider is towed into the air by an aeroplane. These tows allow you to reach a higher altitude and offer a smoother, more sedate ascent, but a winch launch has its own thrill as you are dragged into the air with some speed.
Once the winch or tug plane detaches, you’ll begin to feel the eerily exciting sensation of gliding across the UK skies in an utterly silent motor-free machine, relying solely on air currents and ‘lifts’ such as thermals to keep you aloft. It’s a similar story for motorised glider flights, except you’ll be getting airborne under your own power, before switching the engine off and going into full glide mode.
No matter how you get up there, the views are guaranteed to be spectacular, especially on clear days. Buy your voucher to go gliding in the UK and see where your thermals will take you!
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to availability and weather conditions
• Some venues are only open on selected days/months - please see the venue list below for details if different
• The individual requirements of each glider club vary
• General guidelines are minimum weight 7 stone, a maximum weight of between 15 and 16.2 stone depending on the type of aircraft in use
• Maximum height 6ft 2ins
• Spectators are welcome at all venues and most have clubhouses offering refreshments
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All clubs included in the nationwide gliding experience voucher are BGA approved
• Essex Colchester - Wormingford Airfield (w) May-Sept
• Essex Sudbury - Ridgewell Airfield Wed/Sat/Sun Apr-Nov
• Leicestershire Lutterworth - Husbands Bosworth Airfield May-Oct
• Lincolnshire Grantham - Saltby Airfield
• Oxfordshire Bicester - Bicester Airfield Mar-Sept
• Oxfordshire Church Enstone - Enstone Aerodrome (m)
• Peterborough Crowland - Crowland Airfield
• North Devon Umberleigh - Eaglescott Airfield Sat/Sun Apr-Sept
• North Yorkshire Selby - The Airfield Thurs/Sat/Sun
• Warwickshire Bidford on Avon - Bidford Airport Sat/Sun/Wed
(m) self-launching motorglider
(w) x2 winch launches