• Allow spending an hour on site
• One aerotow or two winch launches giving you a total flying time of around 15 minutes
• The chance to take the controls
• If the allocated flight duration is met on the first launch additional launches may not take place
• All flights are preceded by a briefing and explanation of glider flight
• Most venues operate Aerotow launches as standard (winch launch sites are indicated below)
What Can I Expect
For those brave enough to try the motorless thrill of gliding, UK clubs offer some of the best airborne opportunities around. You might find yourself gliding over rugged coastlines or soaring over the vast flatness of the fens, so we think these nationwide vouchers are a fantastic aerial way to discover new parts of the country through the magical sport of gliding.
These vouchers give you maximum flexibility. There’s no need to decide where to take your first taste of gliding – with UK-wide aero clubs accepting IntotheBlue vouchers, you can order your voucher today and let the lucky recipient choose where they go for their gliding experience. With locations around the UK to choose from, there’s sure to be a flying centre to suit everyone.
Most sessions last approximately an hour in total, including a safety briefing and explanation of the basics of gliding. You’ll enjoy either one or two flights, giving you an overall flying time of around 15 minutes. During this time you’ll have the opportunity to take some stunning snapshots of the Great British scenery below, as well as the option to take over the glider’s controls for a short period of time.
Our hand-selected range of UK gliding clubs offer either winch and/or aerotow launches, depending on the site. Winch launches are via a ground-based cable, which pulls the glider forwards at a fast enough pace to create the lift needed to get the sailplane off the ground, whereas on aerotow launches the glider is towed into the air by a aeroplane. These tows allow you to reach a higher altitude and offer a smoother, more sedate ascent, but a winch launch has its own thrill as you are dragged into the air with some speed.
Once the winch or tug plane detaches, you’ll begin to feel the eerily exciting sensation of gliding across the UK skies in an utterly silent motor-free machine, relying solely on air currents and ‘lifts’ such as thermals to keep you aloft. The views are guaranteed to be spectacular, especially on clear days.
For anyone looking to try a new aerial adventure, gliding in the UK is sure to lift spirits as high as the sky and this nationwide opportunity is the perfect gift for those with a yearning to touch the clouds. For those preferring to sample powered flight, IntotheBlue has a variety of flying lesson experiences guaranteed to delight too.
• Many clubs offer gliding seven days a week, however some are only open on selected days - please see the venue list below for details
• The individual requirements of each glider club vary
• General guidelines are minimum weight 7 stone, a maximum weight of between 15 and 16.2 stone depending on the type of aircraft in use
• Maximum height 6ft 2ins
• Spectators are welcome at all venues and most have clubhouses offering refreshments
IntotheBlue offers a choice of over 800 gift suggestions perfect for any special occasion. Please see our main
gifts section for more great gift ideas
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All clubs included in the nationwide gliding experience voucher are BGA approved
• Buckinghamshire, Marlow - weekdays and weekends
• Devon, near Barnstaple - 7 days a week, Easter - September
• Hampshire, near Alton - 7 days a week
• Leicestershire, Lutterworth - weekdays and weekends, May-October
• Linclonshire, Nr Peterborough - weekends only
• Linclonshire, Grantham - weekdays and weekends
• Powys, Brecon - 7 days a week in summer, weekends in winter
• Oxfordshire, Enstone - weekdays and weekends*
• Surrey, Kenley Airfield near Caterham - weekdays
• Warwickshire, Bidford on Avon - weekends and wednesdays
*Flights at Enstone are in a Power Glider