• Experience a 150ft free-fall experience - a sophisticated parachute simulator
• You will be fully kitted out in a safety harness and be attached to a safety cord
• Experience the sensation of free-fall and in the final 30 feet you will slow down for a smooth and gentle landing
• All safety equipment and training is provided
• Allow spending an hour on site
What Can I Expect
Take one parachute simulator, put it indoors and you’ve got The Drop - a very special experience to scare you witless! Your base for this indoor parachute simulator jump is Magna - the gigantic science museum in a former Sheffield steel factory. It’s dark, atmospheric and brilliantly lit, with stage lighting to give you a real build up before you take that step into the unknown.
This unique indoor parachute experience is the world’s highest, coming in at a dizzying 150ft above the ground. It’s a real heart stopper and in some ways, even more dramatic than the real thing.
The ‘free-fall’ of The Drop is longer and a different sensation to when you bungee - and there’s no bouncing up and down of the end of an elastic bungee band. And unlike a real parachute jump, on this indoor simulated version there’s no tricky landing to master either, as the descender brings you back to earth gently.
Your experience starts with you making the long climb of 143 steps to the heart of the action - the Jump Station. Just conquering this is quite a feat, as there are metal steps and a vertical ladder to negotiate to get there.
Then with your harnesses and equipment checked once again by a technician, it’s time to take a peek into the abyss under your feet. This is the moment you realise you’re not quite sure where you’ll be falling, as it’s so hard to see anything. Then all you have to do is step off .... into the darkness and a drop of 150ft!
For a few moments you feel just like a real skydiver as you descend at a serious rate of knots. Your heart will be in your mouth until The Drop mechanism kicks in, slowing your descent in the last 30ft, allowing you to step gently back onto terra firma.
Being inside the unique setting that it is, you can try the parachute simulator whatever the weather and it’s certainly and impressive place to try The Drop, making that 150ft leap of faith into…nothing!
• Selected Saturdays, usually at least once a month
• This activity is held indoors so will not be affected by the weather
• Minimum age is 11 years
• 11-15 year olds require a parent or guardian's permission and signature
• The maximum weight limit is 18.12 stone
• There are no height restrictions
• There is no maximum age limit
• Customers 50 years and above should seek medical advice prior to their event to ensure there is no medical reason for them not to participate
• This experience is not suitable for pregnant women or those with high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, epilepsy or asthma
• Comfortable clothing, such as tracksuit and trainers, is recommended
• Boots are not permitted
• All other equipment will be supplied on the day
• Spectators are welcome and encouraged to bring cameras to capture the excitement of the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Photographs of your jump are available to purchase with prices from £15
• The Abyss at Magna, located at the Magna Science Adventure Centre in Rotherham