• Explore historic London on a tutored two hour photography tour
• Learn about the techniques of architectural photography
• The tour takes you beyond the famous sights with an emphasis on back streets and alleys offering a wealth of historic buildings
• Tours are led by an award-winning photographer
• Your will form part of a group of up to 16 participants
What Can I Expect
Discover the history of London through photography! This fascinating London photography tour will show you London’s history through little-known architectural gems and hidden away places. This is a tour of London like no other!
Tours depart from near the Bank of England in the City of London. This is the area known for big bold skyscrapers and being the centre of finance and banking. It’s not all about coffees to go and air conditioned blocks of steel and glass though. Behind the bustling facade of business you’ll find there’s rather a lot to uncover about the capital’s past and you get to capture it on camera.
Your host is a professional, award-winning photographer who has a passion for architectural photography. This whole area around Old Street is filled with fascinating buildings that merit being looked at, talked about and photographed.
The Square Mile, as it's often referred to, is where the Romans settled and indeed this photography tour covers many centuries of London’s history. From Grade II listed Edwardian hotel buildings, to warehouses built with Moorish mosaics and Gothic-styled stones, it’s all part of London’s rich architectural DNA.
And it’s not just buildings that catch the well-trained eye round these parts of London. For example, the way the modern walkways and bridges marry up to classic landmarks like St Paul’s cathedral make for stunning photographs when you know how.
That’s what you’ll be learning all about. As you tour the quieter back streets and alleys away from the main roads, you’ll work on composition and lighting to capture the best of London’s hidden architecture at its most interesting angle.
As you can probably tell, taking good pictures of buildings is quite an art form, but it’s an integral part of archiving how London has been built over the centuries. These history of London photography tours will teach you a lot about London’s past (and present) and photography skills too.
• Selected Saturdays throughout the year
• Tours are available at 10:00 and 13:00
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age 10
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• A good general level of fitness is required as there is a significant amount of walking involved
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants will need to bring a digital camera (or at least a camera phone)
• Tours depart from King William Street, next to the Bank of England in the City of London