• Welcome and tour of the centre
• Fly a variety of Owls
• A hawk walk and flying a Harris Hawk
• The full day gives you additional time flying the birds
• Full day participants will get to handle Falcons and Eagles, possibly a Vulture
• There will be up to four guests with the falconer for your experience
• Lunch is not included with either of the activities but there are picnic facilities on site and an excellent pub nearby
• Specialist falconry equipment is provided
What Can I Expect
Be enraptured with our experiences at the regal home of falconry in Northamptonshire! This falconry centre is located in the superb surroundings of the magnificent Holdenby House, a 16th century country estate where history tells us royalty and raptors regularly mixed.
King James II kept a falcon mews here and Charles I walked the beautiful gardens many a time before his untimely demise, so these half and full day falconry experiences in the stunning heart of Northamptonshire allow you to walk in the footsteps of kings, learning about this most noble of pastimes.
This Northamptonshire venue is home to a unique collection of stunning birds of prey, from tiny owls to majestic eagles, all trained to the very highest standards of falconry under the watchful eye and skill of head falconer Mike Hewlett.
The half day session in Northamptonshire gives you a packed morning of falconry. You will start with a tour of this superb collection of birds and then you will be given the opportunity to fly a variety of owls ranging in size from a tiny burrowing owl up to a European Eagle Owl. This is followed by a Hawk walk to exercise one of the Harris Hawks. These nimble birds will follow you like well trained dogs, frequently swooping to the glove when called by the falconer. The walk also gives you the chance to admire the beautiful Northamptonshire countryside around this magnificent estate.
Opting for the full day follows the same itinerary as the half day, but with lots more time to fly many more birds, including Falcons, Eagles and possibly even a Vulture - a formidable charge for any falconer and the star of the show in Northamptonshire. Again you will handle the birds under the expert supervision of the skilled falconers who will fly some of the more demanding ones for you - for example the timing for swinging a lure to a Falcon is really quite tricky, as you'll discover.
So why not have a go at falconry at Northamptonshire's most regal and historic centre? We think these are great experiences that all the family can enjoy, as children as young as eight can joint he half day and the age limit is 12 for the big birds of prey on the full day. And you won't forget the moment you first witnessed a Falcon in full hunting mode at high speed, or an Eagle scanning the skies like an expert spy for their prey.
• The centre is open March to December
• Full days run 10:00am - 4:30pm
• Half days run from 10:00am - 1:00pm
For all details on our selection of Falconry experiences please visit our main
• Minimum age is 12 for the full day and 8 for the half day
• Wear dark style country clothing, stout shoes
• Also bring boots and waterproofs in case of rain
• Friends and family are permitted to come along as spectators, with the opportunity to capture your experience on camera or video
• There is a separate charge of £20 per spectator, payable on arrival
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The experience takes place in the grounds of the prestigious Holdenby House Estate in Northamptonshire.