• A round trip locomotive cab ride lasting approximately 40 minutes
• Ride in the cab with the driver of the locomotive in operation on the day
• Locos include: Vanguard Class, Class 2015, Class 08 or Ex MOD 427 locomotive
• Observe how the loco is driven along the line during a passenger service
• Opportunity to sound the horn
• Riding up front with the driver you will watch how the railway shunters work on passenger trains
• Experiences operate on a 1:1 basis
• Please allow around one hour on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
If you know someone who’s mad about locos, they’ll love these train cab rides! This is your chance to ride shotgun upfront in a diesel engine on the East Kent Railway. This delightful historic railway is the perfect place to experience a train ride from the cab, sitting alongside the driver.
The railway line runs from Shepherdswell to Eythorne Station. It might only be a fairly short section of track, but there is so much to see in that time. For starters, arriving a Shepherdswell you’ll be immediately drawn into the lovely little station cafe, where many of the travellers gather before boarding. This station is also where the East Kent railway’s miniature railway resides, again a fascinating little addition to your experience.
But the main event is, of course, your ride in the diesel engine cab. Hooked up to carriages, you will have the privilege of watching a classic diesel engine at work, as it hauls the passengers along the line. And we have to say, you get an amazing view down the line from the cab.
The first part of your ride is quite unusual too, as you have to stop to let crew off the train to open the gates over the road at the North Bank level crossing. Not long after that comes one of the main highlights of your journey in the train cab - the Golgotha Tunnel. It’s fascinating to experience driving through it from the perspective of the driver in their cab.
Out into the cutting on the other side, the Kentish countryside will start to come into view as you reach the treeline. The approach to Eythorne is also an interesting one, as you can clearly see the old trackbed that branched off to the Guilford Colliery. Again, you get the best view of it all from the cab. After crew check the points, your ride continues into Eythorne.
After a stop of around 15 minutes, you’ll accompany the driver in the cab for your return journey. All in all, you will spend approximately 40 minutes riding in the cab of a vintage working diesel engine on a passenger service. And as an extra bonus, the driver will save one very special job for you - sounding the horn! Brilliant fun at a superb little railway and at a great price too.
• Selected weekend and Bank Holiday dates from April to September
• Sessions take place on standard railway operating days
• Due to the popularity of this experience please book well in advance to avoid disappointment
• Minimum age 18
• Participants must have a good, general level of fitness and be able to climb up and down onto a locomotive without assistance
• Spectators are welcome to watch your departure and arrival
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Locomotives used for the experience are subject to change and specific locos can not be guaranteed
• East Kent Railway, Shepherdswell, Dover