• A 2.5 Hour Discover Photography course
• Aimed at beginners who own a digital camera with manual settings that are not sure how to use them
• Learn how to use your settings to achieve a wide range of techniques and effects
• Tuition to fully understand and operate your digital camera to be ready to take better photographs
• The course is led by an award-winning photographer
• You will form part of a group of up to 16 participants
• Colour temperature and white balance
• Operating the camera in semi-automatic and manual modes
• Depth of field
• How the aperture and shutter speed affect the image
• Explore the effects of aperture and shutter speed with a practical exercise
• Focal length, angle of view and perspective
What Can I Expect
Join a discover photography workshop in London and learn to love manual mode on your camera! So you’ve got a DSLR camera and you’re taking lovely shots in automatic or standard shooting mode, but how come your images aren’t quite as striking as some you see online? This workshop will show how to capture impressive images in manual mode.
Aimed at beginners, this photography workshop held near Old Street in the capital, will help you discover just what your camera can do. There’s a whole wealth of potential in a DSLR beyond the ‘point and shoot’ method we’re all so used to. An award-winning photographer will accompany you every step of the way as you explore your camera.
In essence, it's all about selecting the correct exposure, aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Chances are you’ve heard of all these things, but you’re not quite sure how to use them to maximum effect. The aperture can be thought of as the camera’s iris, whilst the shutter speed is how quickly it opens and shuts, with the ISO being the camera’s sensitivity to light. Learn how to adjust all of these factors and you’ll come up with some amazing images.
Of course, it’s not just about the mechanics of your camera. There’s also the question of composition. That's to say, capturing that creative angle and focal point that makes your image stand out from the rest. This sort of artistic eye is not easy to teach, but your expert tutor will show you how to open your creative mind to add an extra zest to your picture taking.
The setting for these workshops is sure to provide inspiration for your new-found manual photography skills. The Westland Place Studios is a vibrant hub for artists in the heart of London’s City. Home is a distinctive Victorian industrial warehouse building, where a collective of sculptors, painters, ceramists, designers and photographers work.
You’ll spend around two and a half hours discovering photography during this workshop in London. By the end of your session you’ll feel perfectly confident turning off that automatic mode and slipping into manual to shoot some of the finest pictures you’ve ever taken. A highly recommended workshop in the capital for anyone with a digital SLR camera.
• Selected Saturdays throughout the year
• Courses are available at 10:00, 13:00
• Dates and session times are subject to availability
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants will need to bring a digital camera with manual settings
• It is recommended to also bring a notebook and pen
• Westland Place, Hoxton, North London