• Fly in a Vintage Tiger Moth Boeing Stearman or Stampe Biplane with the opportunity to take the controls
• 15, 30 and 40 minute flights are available
• All experiences will include a pre flight briefing in addition to your flight time
• Opportunity to pose for photos with the aircraft
What Can I Expect
Take an aerial trip back in time onboard these biplanes! Enjoy biplane flights in beautifully restored vintage aircraft such as Tiger Moths, at your choice of location throughout the UK. Nothing beats the thrill of open cockpit aviation and this is our most flexible voucher valid at various aerodromes around the country.
Your flight experience begins with a welcome and safety briefing from your pilot. You will then be helped up into the cockpit and strapped in to the very snug interior of the biplane ready for your flight. Then comes the almost theatrical performance of ‘swinging the prop’ - all necessary to get these marvellous old boys started and ready for take off. ‘Switches off, fuel on, throttle closed, suck in’, followed by ‘contact’. Then with an almighty heave on the prop, the biplane's engine will burst into life, ready to take flight.
Even taxiing in biplanes like the Stampe, Stearman or Tiger Moth is an art form, as the pilot weaves to and fro, craning their neck over the side of the fuselage, looking past the propellor, to see where you are going. It's hard to explain the exhilaration of take-off in biplanes like this, as it shudders and purrs, eager to get airborne, as you bump along the grass runway.
Once airborne, you’ll find that despite that open cockpit, the windscreen does a very good job of keeping the breeze to a minimum. By the time you're in level flight, you will have got used to the biplane's engine noise, which fades to a loud but comfortable rumble as you cruise the skies of your chosen airfield in classic vintage style.
Your pilot will demonstrate a few gentle turns before letting you take control of this wonderful biplane aircraft for yourself. Taking the flight controls, you'll soon discover only the lightest touch is needed to keep the wings straight and level, or maintain height through a turn. Just imagine all those young and eager RAF recruits training in these much-loved biplanes in the 30s and 40s!
We have to say, any signs of enthusiasm during these biplane flights will be more than likely met with the offer to demonstrate more exciting manoeuvres. We’re even talking a loop, if the aircraft is cleared for aerobatics, making for a rather adrenaline-pumping finale to your first biplane aviation experience!
• Biplane flights are generally available between March and October
• Experiences are subject to availability and weather conditions
• There is a minimum height limit of 4'6" and a maximum of 6'4"
• Maximum weight limit is 16 stone
• Prolonged periods of inactivity, air pressure changes, G pressure changes, turbulence, noise and light levels experienced during flights in open cockpit vintage aircraft may affect certain medical conditions. Any passenger with any doubts about their health when flying should seek medical advice
• You are advised to wear warm comfortable clothing
This is another very popular experience gift from Into the Blue, please visit our main
gift ideas page for more amazing gift suggestions suitable for family and friends of all ages!
• Friends and family are welcome to come and watch, time can usually be made to pose for photographs
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All Tiger Moth and other vintage aircraft flights are operated by aeroclubs fully compliant with Civil Aviation Authority rules and regulations.
• The flight times quoted are 'chock to chock', so run from taxiing out to when you stop after landing
• Facilities vary from site to site but most venues have a clubhouse where you can purchase snacks and refreshments
• All flights are in a Tiger Moth unless otherwise stated
• Cambridge Duxford Airfield - 15/30/40 minute flights (museum entry included)
• Essex Damyns Hall Aerodrome - 30/40 minute flights
• Kent London Ashford Airport - 30 minute flights (Boeing Stearman)
• Kent Headcorn Aerodrome - 15/30 minute flights
• Oxfordshire Bicester Heritage - 15/30/40 minute flights (evenings only)
• North Devon Eaglescott Airfield - 30/40 minute flights
• Surrey Redhill Aerodrome - 15/30/40 minute flights
• West Sussex Shoreham Airport - 15/30/40 minute flights (Stampe/Tigermoth) 15 minute flights Sunday only