• Drive a Chevrolet Camaro SS
• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• 3 or 6 miles driving the Camaro SS
• Allow up to one hour on site for this experience
What Can I Expect
Say a big, hearty ‘howdy’ to the Camaro SS. This is the car Chevrolet finally came up with to compete against Ford’s massively successful Mustang. We’re giving you then chance to drive a genuine 1969 Chevvy Camaro in all its SS (that’s Super Sport) finery. And we reckon you’ll love it.
Built on Pepsi Cola and hot dogs (or something like that), this quintessential muscle car from the other side of the Atlantic is certainly eye-catching. First Generation Camaros were built from 1967 to 1969 and the model you’ll be driving was built in 1969. It’s got all the markings of the sportiest version of the Camaro, complete with stripes, SS badges on the front grille and chassis upgrade to handle all that extra power from the SS V8 engine. Oh and you can’t miss those rather large air-inlets on the hood!
When it first appeared on the US car market, it was like nothing else out there at the time. It has a distinctly curvy, almost European style that really appealed to American drivers. The Camaro also boasted luxuries that were unheard of in similar category cars, such as full carpeting and supple vinyl seats. It also came with a range of engine options, making it everything from the ideal family car, to the teenage street racer of choice in SS form.
And it’s an SS you’ll be driving on these Camaro experiences. Despite the weight, the 580bhp, 8l V8 engine certainly gets this car to shift. It might not be the best around the corners, but for straight-line speed it’s a real blast to drive. At the time, the adverts called this Camaro SS ‘The Hugger’ - some say it was referring to the car’s handling as it was capable of the hugging the road. Others say it was simply because it was a very ‘huggable’ looking car.
Either way, the Camaro is great fun to drive. It’s also pretty sought after these days, especially in the UK where big muscle cars like these are often seen as an acquired taste. We say nothing beats winding the window of your Camaro SS down, leaning your elbow out and feeling the wind in your hair as you power that Super Sport V8 Camaro up.
• Selected weekday dates throughout the year, subject to availability
• Sessions are available from 08:30 to 15:30
• Upgrades to include weekends are available for £25 payable when booking your date
• Minimum age 17
• A full UK driving licence is required
• Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult
• Minimum height 4ft 5ins
• This is not suitable if you have suffered back, neck or knee problems
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• All drivers on the day will have the option to pay a non-refundable £25 damage waiver which will cover them against any damage that may be caused to the vehicle(s) in the event of an incident
• Drivers who do not wish to take this waiver will need to sign a disclaimer and will need to be able to cover the cost on the day for any damage to the vehicle up to a maximum amount of £5000. Credit card details will need to be provided with £5000 limit or above for this reason. Debit cards are accepted however please be aware a pre-authorisation applies to debit cards to check funds are available
• Most venues are airfield style circuits with large run off areas
• Abingdon Airfield, Oxfordshire
• Bicester Circuit, Oxfordshire
• Bovington, Wareham, Dorset
• Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, Leicestershire
• NAEC Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
• Perranporth Airfield, Cornwall (Annual Event)
• Honnington, Suffolk
• St Andrews, Leuchars
• Tibenham Circuit, Norfolk
• Tockwith, North Yorkshire
• Three Sisters, Wigan
** Premium MSA race track £35 supplement applies, payable direct
* Weekend upgrade £25
• Castle Combe** Adults only
• Blyton Park, Lincolnshire*
• Dunsfold Airfield, Surrey**
• All locations are subject to change