• Preflight briefing with your pilot
• Your flight will last for 30 or 60 minutes depending on the voucher chosen
• Opportunity to take the controls for part of the flight
• Introductory lessons will be in a 2 seater Cessna 152 or 4 seater Piper PA28
• Flight times are quoted 'chock to chock', ie. from when the plane starts to taxi, to when it switches off at the end of the lesson
• A certificate upon completion
What Can I Expect
Calling all Londoners: prepare to take off on a flying lesson in London! Just 10 minutes from North London, well within the M25 and with easy access by public transport too, this flying school offers lessons based out of Elstree aerodrome in Hertfordshire. It really is the most convenient airfield for aspiring pilots in the capital and around the home counties too.
Before offering flight training, this group of aviators regularly took to the skies after they formed a flying group together in 2004. It was a natural progression to then offer flight training at this London-base. The staff and instructors at Elstree are super passionate and dedicated, with many interesting flying background stories. There are ex-military fast jet pilots, commercial airline pilots, aviation consultants, examiners and even flying instructors who teach pilots to become instructors. All this means you’re in safe hands for your flying lessons out of Hertfordshire.
The planes hangared at this vibrant flight training club near London are the two seater Cessna 152 and four seater Piper PA28. The configuration inside the cockpit is side by side and all training planes are dual-controlled, so when it comes to you having your go at actually flying the plane there's no hot-seat mid-air changeover above the London skyline needed!
Both aircraft are renowned as being the best training light aircraft in the business, as they are rugged and easy for novices to get to grips with during flying lessons. London is obviously a pretty busy place when it comes to airspace and although this airfield is very near to London's city centre, it's far enough away to enjoy fewer restrictions, meaning you can maximise your flying time, rather than sitting in a take off queue on the runway.
There are several options for your flying lessons out of London. You can choose a flight in a two seater aircraft or a four seater plane. You can also choose between a 30 and a 60 minute lesson out of Elstree.
• Flights are available on weekends throughout the year
• All dates and flight times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age for a lesson is 14 years old
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Two forms of identity including photographic ID will be required on the day
Two Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 14 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 1ins
Four Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 3ins
• Spectators are welcome to attend and watch participants in flight with plenty of great photo opportunities
• Participants of four seater experiences are allowed to bring an interested observer (min age 14) who can observe the lesson from the rear seat (at the discretion of the flight instructor and subject to weather conditions)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Elstree Aerodrome, Hertfordshire