A Helicopter Pilot Day
• Welcome with tea or coffee
• Introduction and briefing from your CAA helicopter pilot instructor host
• A 15-20 minute personal helicopter lesson and hover challenge
• Lunch (either buffet style or voucher for cafe/restaurant)
• Guided tour of the aircraft hangar(s)
• Closing talk on helicopter types, getting your licence etc
• Helicopter pilot notes for all participants
• You will be part of a small group of up to eight on the day
• Helicopter lesson is taken on a one to one basis
• Allow 3.5-4 hours at the venue
What Can I Expect
Learn how to become a helicopter ace with this Helicopter Pilot Day! Available at several different venues nationwide, this very special offer will see you noseying around the hangars, learning fascinating facts about choppers and enjoying an extended helicopter flying lesson.
We are offering nine venues for this informative and hands on day at the helipad. All schools used are fully CAA registered and you will be meeting pilots who work commercially and can give you loads of tips, hints and advice - as well as a few aviation anecdotes, no doubt. Centres range from Thruxton airport in Hampshire, to Cumbernauld Airport in Glasgow.
If you've ever dreamt of being in the captain's seat, this is the day for you. It starts off with a welcome over a tea or coffee, followed by a briefing from a CAA licensed pilot instructor who will be hosting the experience. Then it's time for the aerial action with a 15-20 minute one to one lesson in one of the trainer helis with just you and the pilot. You'll learn how to hover, achieve forward flight and experience the manoeuvrability of a helicopter.
Back down on terra firma, you and your fellow would-be helicopter pilots take a break for lunch, before you get taken on a behind the scenes tour of the hangars so you can see the fleet of aircraft that operate out of your chosen school. Your instructor pilot will guide you and talk about different types and uses of helicopters - for example, did you know there are both piston-engined and turbine engined helis?
After all that excitement airside, your helicopter pilot day ends with an informative talk on life as a commercial helicopter pilot, how to get your licence, whether to earn a living with it or as a keep flying just as a hobby. In this four hour experience there'll also be time for questions, making this the perfect gift for any helicopter enthusiast who would appreciate getting a real hands on insight into the industry and the life of a pilot.
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Flights are subject to availability at your chosen location and weather conditions
• Minimum age 14
• Under 16s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum height is 6ft
• Maximum weight 15 stone
• Guests 15 stones + can still fly however they must upgrade to a four seater helicopter at an extra charge of £60 payable when booking your date (This option is not available at Powys and Mid Wales)
• You will need to present a form of valid ID with a photograph on the day
• Spectators can come along, but will not be able to join in the tours etc
• Facilities may vary at venues, but there will usually be a clubhouse, toilets and refreshments
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Buckinghamshire Wycombe Air Park
• Gloucestershire Gloucestershire Airport
• Greater Manchester Manchester City Airfield
• Hampshire Thruxton Airport
• Lanarkshire Cumbernauld Airport
• Powys Powys and Mid Wales Airport
• Tyne & Wear Newcastle International Airport
• Warwickshire Coventry Airport
• Warwickshire Wellesbourne Airfield
• West Midlands Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green Airport