• 60 minute trial flying lesson in an Ikarus C42 light sports aircraft
• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Under the supervision of a highly experiences instructor you'll get to take the controls
• A certificate upon completion
What Can I Expect
Pop along to Popham Airfield for a flying lesson and learn the basics of flying in a modern light sport aircraft! Airbourne Aviation has a really great set up here at this friendly general aviation airfield near Basingstoke. Book a 60 minute slot and find out for yourself how much fun flying can be.
There are over 100 aircraft based here at Popham, with lots of different flying groups in residence alongside this well-established flying school. Flying lessons are taken in one of the fleet of five training aircraft, including the ever-popular fixed-wing Ikarus C42.
Whilst these planes might look just like your typical trainer aircraft, they are actually super-light, qualifying them as new generation microlights, that's to say 'special light sport aircraft'. And if the word ‘light’ gives you the impression of instability, you will be very pleasantly surprised on your lessons out of Popham. The C42 is incredibly stable and in fact, it’s the first thing nearly every first time flyer comments on after landing!
Many of the instructors here are experienced in and qualified to fly other types of aircraft, but they absolute love the ultra lights, which is why they have chosen to teach flying lessons at Popham in this sort of aircraft. The capability and versatility is quite incredible. They need little over 200m to take off and can touch down to land in under 300m when there are no obstacles and they don’t demand a smooth tarmac runway either. Airborne performance is good too, cruising at 100mph, yet capable of slowing it right down to 45mph for the C42.
All of these character traits make the C42 from Ikarus ideal for flying lessons. Popham is also a great choice of aerodrome to fly from, with a a bustling atmosphere, but no so busy that it puts your off your trial flight. It’s worth knowing that you will be following Exercise 3 in the NPPL syllabus for your flying lesson, which means if you get the bug you can log the time spent at Popham Airfield to count towards your quest to become a licensed pilot.
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 8
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum weight 14 stone, fully clothed
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There is an onsite cafe with a large selection of food and refreshments available to purchase
• Popham Airfield, Micheldever, Hampshire