• Two course lunch served aboard a first class restaurant car
• The steam locomotive takes you on a leisurely journey through the Charnwood countryside
• Your meal is served during the journey
• The train usually pauses on Swithland viaduct with magnificent views across the reservoir to Charnwood Forest
• Lunch guests receive a 'runabout ticket' for the day allowing you on as a passenger on any train and to roam around the platform and museum
• Your table on the steam train luncheon departure is reserved for you
• The journey takes around 1 hour 45 minutes
What Can I Expect
All aboard the Great Central Railway for a delightful midweek steam train luncheon for four! Departing from Loughborough station on selected Wednesdays, these dining car experiences, with a full day runaround ticket included, are the perfect treat for the middle of the week.
The Midlander Lunch excursion is hugely popular. It’s a relaxing day out away from the weekend crowds, that allows you to really enjoy these historic railway line in Leicestershire. It’s the UK’s only main lone heritage railway - and that means you’ll see moving trains going in opposite direction passing each other. It’s hugely renowned and has featured in many TV shows and films as an authentic filming location.
Your trip out will see you enjoying a return journey on the full length of the line, from the main Great Central Railway station at Loughborough, all the way to Leicester North and back again. During your voyage, luncheon will be served at your table in the first class dining car. It’s just as you’d expect in this beautifully restored carriage, with big comfy armchair-style seats and a fully-set table.
The onboard team will welcome you and be there for you from the moment you step onto the train from the platform, to the moment they wave you off at the end of your voyage. It’s all very lovely and really rather civilised like rail travel used to be before ticket barriers and guard-less trains.
The food all comes freshly prepared from the onboard galley kitchen car. We can’t imagine that it’s easy producing meals in such confined conditions on a moving train, but the chefs proudly send out their restaurant-standard food on these midweek steam train luncheons trips to the appreciative passengers.
As well as enjoying your meal, there are all the views to take in too. You’ll be able to spot everything from landmarks of the local industrial heritage such as the former Ladybird Books factory in Loughborough, to the working granite quarry at Mountsorrel. Then there’s the open countryside which is really stunning too - a highlight of which is the pause on the viaduct over Swithland Reservoir. We think these midweek steam train luncheon vouchers are the ideal Wednesday tranquil treat for you!
• The Midlander runs on selected Wednesdays between May and September
• Departures are at 13:00, returning at approximately 14:45
• On booking, the operator may ask for you to make your choices in advance
• Seating is generally on tables accommodating up to four people
• Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult
• Minimum age 5
• There are full facilities on board the trains and at the stations
• Spectators wanting to see off the train will need to buy a platform ticket which allows access to the museums
• There are disabled facilities available on site
• Children aged 5 and over are welcome on these lunchtime trips
• The operator can also assist and advise on local accommodation in the area
• The dining car is not suitable for wheelchairs
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The trains depart from the Great Central Station in Loughborough then head south for around 4 miles where the train pauses to take in the beautiful views from the Swithland viaduct, near Rothley
• The train continues a further 4 miles to Leicester North and follows follows the same route back to Loughborough Central Station
• The Central station has good access from the M1 (J23) and A6