• Three-course lunch with coffee and mints served aboard The South Yorkshireman
• Enjoy a leisurely steam train journey through Charnwood's countryside
• Your meal is served during the journey aboard the first class restaurant cars
• There is generally a pause on Swithland viaduct with views across the reservoir to Charnwood Forest
• A 'runabout ticket' allowing unlimited rail travel for the day
• Opportunity to roam around the platform and museums
• Your table on the steam train luncheon departure is reserved for you
• The train journey lasts approximately one and a half hours
What Can I Expect
All aboard the South Yorkshireman for a superb steam train lunch in Loughborough! This year round Saturday service runs on the renowned and much-loved Great Central Railway line and departs from the main base at Loughborough Central station. It's also one of our most popular of all our experiences!
The beautifully restored carriages of the South Yorkshireman immediately transport you back to the truly golden age of steam trains. Unlike modern rail services, these Loughborough luncheon departures ensure you will definitely get a seat (and it's a large, armchair-style comfy one at that) and a table (fully set for dining with proper cutlery and crockery), when you book for these first class restaurant cars.
As you roll gently out of Loughborough, you can sit back in your seat, watch the plumes of steam billowing from the train's locomotive and enjoy the stunning vistas of the unspoilt countryside. Your three course meal will be served at your table by the courteous and smartly dressed service team and includes a choice of main dishes in a classic British cuisine style, with vegetarian options too. What you might not realise is that there is a kitchen car onboard, where all the food is prepared and plated - quite a feat!
Midway through your steam adventure, the train will glide to a halt, whilst you are eating your lunch, on one of the loveliest spots in the Loughborough area - the viaduct that spans the Swithland Reservoir. Chances are you'll see wildfowl enjoying the tranquility of the water and we think there is no better way to spend a Saturday lunch time than this!
Once you arrive at the end of the line in Leicester North, your plates will have been collected and you'll most likely fancy a little refreshing walk, so here's where you can get off the train, have a look around the station and then hop back onboard for your return journey and your coffee and mints.
Every diner booked on the steam train lunch from Loughborough also has a first class 'runabout' ticket giving you unlimited travel for the day of your experience, so you can make the most of it and see all the attractions on the eight miles of mainline track and three other stations. Other steam train trips are available.
• Most Saturday lunchtimes from January through to mid-November
• Departures are at 13:00, returning at approximately 14:45
• On booking, the operator may ask for you to make your menu choices in advance
• Seating is generally on tables accommodating two or four people (if tables for two are fully booked you will be on a shared table accommodating up to four)
• Minimum age 5
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• There are disabled facilities available on site
• The dining car is not suitable for wheelchairs
• Spectators wanting to see off the train will need to buy a platform ticket which allows access to the museums
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There are full facilities on board the trains and at the stations
• The operator can also assist and advise on local accommodation in the area
• The trains depart from and returns to Great Central Station in Loughborough
• Head south, for around 4 miles where the train pauses to take in the beautiful views from the Swithland viaduct, near Rothley
• The train follows the same route North back to Great Central Station
• The Central station has good access from the M1 (J23) and A6