• An insight into falconry lasting around one hour
• A short tour of the centre by an experienced falconer
• Hands on experience with the birds
• Learn about the birds and their training
• The opportunity to fly the birds to the glove
• You will be in a group of up to five people
• Refreshments on arrival
Owl Encounter for Two:
• A one hour session learning about the nocturnal predators
• Handle and fly at least 3 types of Owls under the guidance of a falconer
• Learn about how Owls live and behave in the wild
• Sessions last around one hour
Falconer for a Day:
• A day of Falconry
• Introduction to the birds of prey by an experienced falconer
• Tour of the centre
• Handle the birds and learn training techniques
• Lots of hands on flying with the birds from flight to glove
• Learn about their care and food with practical demonstrations
• All equipment is provided
• A light lunch is also included
• You may be in a group of up to five people
What Can I Expect
Find out what life as a falconer is like when you join the falconry Oxfordshire team! These experiences are ideal for anyone who is curious to know what it's like to have a beautiful bird of prey fly over your head to land on your gloved fist - and you will learn lots too.
Taking place in the grounds of a fun and vibrant farm park centre at Frilford near Oxford, you'll get an exclusive insight into the work the team does in training these wonderful birds of prey. All of these Oxfordshire experiences start with a tour around the aviaries and mews, so you can see the birds up close as they rest and take plenty of close up photos.
The ‘Discover Falconry’ option here at this Oxfordshire farm lasts around one hour. In that time you will hear all about the noble sport of falconry, how the birds are reared and take a selection of the birds out and have a go at flying them, all under the watchful eye and tuition of the experienced falconers. We think this a great option for a family day out, as it's the ideal length so the kids will be captivated and enthralled the whole time.
A ‘Falconer For A Day’ experience will give you an far more in-depth insight into the life and work of a falconer charged with training and caring for their beloved raptors. Owners Sharon and James house over 90 birds of prey in these extensive Oxfordshire grounds and both are very passionate about and dedicated to their birds. Throughout the day you will have lots of opportunities to handle and fly them, getting to know their characters, as well as enjoying lunch with your fellow fledgling falconers.
The ‘Owl Encounter’ is a must for owl fans. You’ll spend an hour on a one to one basis with the falconer and the owls. Handling and flying at least three different species of owl during your experience, there are sure to be lots of ‘Ahhhhh’ moments with the cute little owls. And as for the bigger species, there’s something really quite engaging about those big, dark eyes of these gorgeous creatures.
All in all, the taster and the full day of falconry in Oxford, as well as the owl experience, all offer a welcoming and warm environment in which you can get up close to the birds of prey and unravel the mysteries of falconry. And of course, there’s always plenty of time for some photo moments with your new-found feathered friends too.
• On selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Flying of the birds is weather dependent
• The minimum age requirement for the taster is 5 years
• The minimum age requirement for the full day and the owl encounter is 8 years
• All under 18's must be accompanied by an adult
• Suitable outdoor clothing should be worn with sensible footwear
• Spectator charges of £5 per person are applicable to adults and children and are payable locally
• The Farm Centre boasts a local produce shop, zoo, play area, garden centre, craft gallery, pick your own and restaurants on site
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The venue is at a family-friendly farm centre near Abingdon in Oxfordshire