• A bird of prey experience set in beautiful Yorkshire countryside
• All experiences begin with a safety briefing with your falconer
• Sessions are run on an exclusive basis
Birds of Prey Handling
• Handle a range of birds of prey including; Barn owls, harris hawks and eagle owls
• Allow up to one hour for this experience
• Fly handle and feed a range of owls including; Barn owls, african spotted eagle owls and european eagle owls
• Allow two hours for this experience
• Head out on a hawk walk through woodland and local countryside with your very own harris hawk
• You will have full control of the hawk with a falconer on hand for advise and to answer questions
• Allow 2-2.5 hours for this experience
• View all the birds of prey in the collection
• Spend the morning flying, handling and feeding a range of owls
• Opportunity to watch falcons being flown
• Break for lunch (not included please either bring a packed lunch or can be purchased nearby)
• Spend the afternoon flying Harris hawks in the Yorkshire countryside and woodland
• Experiences start at 10am and finish at 3pm
What Can I Expect
Fun and flying with feathered friends - that's falconry in West Yorkshire for you! On these experiences you'll get to meet an array of birds of prey, with options to go on a hawk walk, fly owls, take an introductory course, or even spend all day at this centre near Leeds so you can really get to know all the winged residents.
You will also meet Kira, the birds' owner, breeder, trainer and handler. A gifted and incredibly passionate falconer, Kira has a very gentle manner with the birds and it's clear to see she has built a fantastic relationship with her raptors and witnessing this as they work together is truly captivating.
And Kira has quite a family here in West Yorkshire. As well as her captive bred birds of prey, there are also rescue birds here who have been nursed back to health by Kira, who studied raptor rehabilitation in South Africa as another string to her falconry bow before returning to her native West Yorkshire to set up her own aviaries.
You might well meet Libby the African Spotted Eagle Owl, Bungle the Eagle Owl, Tilly the loveable Barn Owl who was a present from Kira's falconer mentor, Kobie the gorgeous bright-eyed Harris Hawk and even Geoff the Hawk who has a rather special story to tell, being one of Kira's rescue birds…we'll let her tell you the rest and how he ended up convalescing in West Yorkshire!
Whether you just want to dip your (gloved) hand into the world of birds of prey with a handling introductory session that lasts an hour, you fancy cuddling up to the owls, would quite like to head off for a stroll in the stunning local Yorkshire countryside with a Hawk following on to your call, or would love to spend all day discovering the joys of being a falconer, we are sure you'll have a brilliant time.
This falconry centre in West Yorkshire is open all year round and Kira will be only too pleased to welcome you to and lift the lid on her world of birds of prey near Pontefract. Each session is run exclusively for you, either as an individual or a small group of up to five with you and your family or friends. You'll learn lots, hear some nice little anecdotes and get to actively fly these stunning creatures to your hand too.
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All experiences are subject to weather conditions and availability
• Minimum age 12
• Under 16s must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Spectators are welcome for a small additional charge payable on the day
• £5 per person for the handling and owl encounters, £10 per person for the hawk walk and falconry day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Suitable outdoor clothing and footwear should be worn
• Pontefract, West Yorkshire