• Welcome and introduction plus briefing on the history of falconry
• Meet a selection of birds of prey
• Take part in a hawk walk through the woodlands
• Plenty of opportunities to handle and fly the birds yourselves
• Guidance from a professional falconer
• You may be forming part of a group of up to 4 participants
• Sessions last around 2 and a half hours
What Can I Expect
Try falconry in Devon and you’ll get to meet and greet exquisite birds of prey, whilst gaining an eagle-eyed insight into working with these beautiful creatures. Dedicated and eternally enthusiastic falconry duo David and Michelle take pride in showing their magnificent birds off to their best advantage and will be only too pleased to let you ruffle a few feathers of your own.
The falconry activity operates out of two prime Devonshire locations; from a country house hotel estate near Tavistock, or in the grounds of a Jacobean mansion near Okehampton. Both right on the edge of Dartmoor National Park and near the River Tamar, the setting for your falconry encounter couldn't be better, as you will be enjoying the raptors in their true natural environment
These friendly Devonshire aviaries house many birds of prey, including owls, hawks and falcons and it’s these stunning winged predators that you’ll be spending some quality time with. Your West Country falconry experience includes a brief introduction to the skills involved in being a falconer, as well as a short explanation of the history of hawking – a sport that goes back hundreds of years.
You’ll then be given the opportunity to take part in a birds of prey ‘hawk walk’ through the local Devon woodland and countryside accompanied by one of the centre’s hawks. You and the other potential members of your group can witness their aerial majesty as they glide effortlessly through the trees, their keen eyes constantly on the lookout for prey.
There is also a free-flying falconry display, where the falcons and hawks will dive and soar in the open arena of the fields next to the centre. This is also your chance to try on the leather handling gauntlets and attempt flying to the lure – which is, for many, one of the most magical moments.
Your birds of prey session in Devon lasts half a day, giving you plenty of time to appreciate the full beauty of these marvellous hunting birds. This engaging and educational course is the ideal gift for those with an interest in hawking, or anyone who simply wants to try something new. Falconry at the Devon site is guaranteed to keep you wide-eyed with wild-winged excitement, as well as teaching you all there is to know about the UK’s native birds of prey.
• Experiences are available on weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All sessions are weather dependent
• There is a minimum unaccompanied age of 14 years
• Outdoor clothing and sturdy footwear is recommended
• There is access to the country house hotel where tea/coffee and food is available to purchase
• Spectators are welcome to attend with a fee of £30 per person payable on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Experiences take place in the beautiful surroundings of a country house hotel estate near Tavistock in Devon, with easy access from the A386
• The selected venue will vary throughout the year and will be confirmed when booking your experience