• Six laps driving in the Caterham 7
• Allow spending up to one hour on site including sign in, welcome meeting and safety briefing
• The cars are fully prepared and maintained for performance; most are fitted with full roll cages, fire extinguishers and safety harnesses
What Can I Expect
If you have ever wondered what a Caterham 7 driving experience is like, let us enlighten you on this legendary car before you decide whether or not to take it for a spin around this compact circuit in Oxfordshire.
Yes, it has what can only be described as retro looks, but that's because the design is decades old, but boy is it a good one (thanks to a Mr Colin Chapman) that has won many a motor race too. And yes, it does only have 150bhp which is about the same as a decent SUV on the roads today. But there's one very, very significant difference. The weight. And that's what makes the experience of driving a Caterham 7 what it is - thrilling.
It's all about function over form with the Caterham 7. Forget your modern driving experience gubbins like ABS, traction control, air conditioning and even central locking, this car is stripped down to the bar minimum. Even the seat belts are harnesses rather than inertia type to save weight. All this is why it feel almost exoskeletal, with the exhaust running on the outside of the bodywork, the front suspension is all exposed and even the bonnet hatches are too.
Inside the cockpit of the Caterham 7 it is, we admit, a 'bit of a squeeze' sort of driving experience. The pedals are close together and the seats are so low that you can barely see over the windscreen. The heat generated from this little pocket rocket's brakes and transmission seems to seep into you and you feel every single bit of tarmac you drive over in the Caterham 7. Now that's what we call a proper driver's experience!
With your bottom just inches from the floor as you drive the Caterham 7, you'll experience the sheer acceleration and the why the car corners and stops like nothing else you have ever driven - it really is driving by the seat of your pants round the track near Bicester in Oxfordshire. With unbelievable levels of agility and grip this is a real supercar slayer.
On this Caterham 7 driving experience from IntotheBlue you will enjoy driving for six thrilling laps of this one mile course. The circuit is designed to allow you to experience the acceleration, cornering poise and outright speed of this motoring legend, rather than endless braking and power off moments. The bonus of this airfield site is that only the cones get damaged if you overcook it or miss an apex rather than the unforgiving barriers at a race circuit.
• Selected Fridays and weekends from March to November
• Special Offer vouchers are valid for selected Fridays only
• Minimum age 17 years with full driving licence, which will need to be shown on the day
• This car has the smallest cockpit of any car made resulting in a very snug fit!
• Minimum height 4ft, maximum is 6'4"
• Maximum weight is 18 stone
• Drivers with size 10 feet or over may need to remove their shoes to drive this vehicle
• Spectators are welcome to watch free of charge
• Complimentary tea and coffee is provided
• There are toilets on site
• There are multiple vehicles driving at the circuit so there's lots to see (if you like watching cars go fast!) and plenty of opportunity for drivers to pose with vehicles for photographs
• There are limited covered viewing areas
• You are advised to bring your own refreshments and snacks
• Professional photographs can usually be purchased on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Optional Collision Waiver Indemnity is available to purchase at the venue for an additional £25 for the first car and £5 for every car thereafter
• Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire. Access via junction 9 or 10 of the M40