Trial Flying Lesson
• 60 minute four seater trial flying lesson
• After a welcome and introduction your instructor will talk you through the pre-flight checks
• Once airborne you will have the chance to take the controls and fly the 4 seater PA28
• All flight durations are from 'brakes on to brakes off'
• After your flight you will be presented with a First Flight Certificate
• A series of three 1 hour flying lessons in the Piper
• A pilots log book and aircraft inspection checklist
• All lessons start with a classroom briefing with your pilot in addition to the flying time
• Each lesson will be logged and will count towards the total hours needed should you wish continue studying for your Private Pilots Licence
• More amazing flying lessons are available.
What Can I Expect
You'll be surrounded by aviation history on these Biggin Hill flying lessons! This long-established club at Kent's Biggin Hill Airport has been flying since 1947 and is by far the oldest school on site to offer lessons to budding pilots.
Biggin Hill is one of the most renowned airports in the world for learning to fly and, of course, boasts a proud heritage as the front line Battle of Britain RAF station during the Second World War. Known these days for being an active commercial airfield at the gateway to London (being just 12 miles south of the capital), Biggin, on a hill looking over the Kentish Downs, is a superb choice for anyone who wants lessons in the art of flying.
The school we use has been passed from father to son and the atmosphere is very much one of professionalism with a friendly face. There are three resident flying instructors available for lessons and one CAA examiner who work full time here at their Biggin Hill base, with the operations desk open all day every day for booking flights and lessons.
So what can you expect when you take a flying lesson at Biggin Hill? The first thing you'll notice is just how massively long the tarmac runway is! This is because Biggin is capable of welcoming larger commercial airliners and indeed, with a lot of corporate and business jet traffic, just taxiing to the runway holding point is sight to behold for aviation fans as you pass all the resident and visiting planes lined up.
Once your instructor has taken care of the take off and usually about 10 minutes into the flight the lesson proper can begin. And this isn't just a 'have a go' session at Biggin Hill, you will be following exercise number three in the pilot syllabus, which is a lesson in flying 'straight and level'. This is the highlight of the flight and as even seasoned flying veterans will tell you, you never forget the first time you 'took control'.
With a wealth of local knowledge and experience, you can also be sure of a warm welcome from the friendly team for these Biggin Hill flying lessons. Whether you just want a taster of what's like to get airborne at this airport that's steeped in history, or are making your first flying steps towards going for the licence, lessons at this Biggin Hill school are fun, informative and with great views on London thrown in too!
As with all flight operators, our Biggin Hill flying lessons are subject to height and weight restrictions. For the four seater aircraft the limits are 16 stone and 6ft 3”.
• Experiences are available weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to weather conditions and availability
• Although time slots are allocated please be aware that aircraft lessons are subject to a number of factors which may potentially cause delay to your scheduled time. Whilst every effort will be made to help keep you on time we ask for a degree of latitude owing to the nature of flying, air traffic delays and weather considerations
• Due to the popularity of this venue please book well in advance to avoid disappointment
• Minimum age of 14 years old.
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Photographic ID will be required on the day
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 3ins
• Spectators are welcome to attend and watch participants in flight with plenty of great photo opportunities
• Participants are allowed to bring an interested observer (min age 14) who can observe the lesson from the rear seat (at the discretion of the flight instructor and subject to weather conditions)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Multiple trial lesson purchases cannot be combined for PPL qualifications, however, additional hours may be purchased direct from the supplier
Pilot Starter Packs
• If you wish to achieve a private pilots licence you'll need to complete at least 45 hours of flight training and complete theory exams, the flying school will be able to advise you on the additional costs involved
• This long running flying school is located in Biggin Hill, Kent with easy access from the M25. Your flight will offer stunning views across London and Kent