• Introduction to the birds at the centre
• Learn about the different species, their habitats and environments
• Entry to Hatton Country World is included
• You will form part of a small group of up to 4 participants
Hands-on Falconry Experience
• Fly several birds of prey to the glove (usually Barn Owl and Harris Hawk)
• Weather permitting you will have the opportunity of watching a falcon fly
• Sessions last approximately one and a half hours
Half Day Falconry
• Opportunity to gain hands on experience with a selection of birds of prey
• Learn about initial training (manning) and progress to flying the birds on a training line (creance)
• Fly the birds free in the display area
• Courses last around 3 hours
Full Day Falconry
• In addition to the topics covered on the half day course you will learn some advanced techniques used for flying and training Birds of Prey
• Participants will learn about feeding a bird of prey, weight management and record keeping
• Session flying the birds in the surrounding Warwickshire countryside
• Lunch break (lunch not included)
• Experiences last last around 6 hours finishing at between 4-4.30pm
What Can I Expect
Lots of free-flying, feeding and feathered fun when you try falconry in Warwick! Based at the rather lovely Hatton Country World, which is not far from the likes of Warwick and Royal Leamington Spa, this is a great location to learn about birds of prey - and one the whole family can enjoy.
Arden falconry occupies a quiet corner of the Hatton Adventure World, the children’s play and activity park that’s set within Hatton Country World. There’s a good-sized education room on site and the pretty wooden aviaries have all been built around a grassed area where the birds perch during the day, ready for displays, training and meeting their adoring public.
Just adjacent to the aviaries is the indoor flying arena. This is a great addition to the set up here in Warwick, as it means windy or rainy weather won’t stop play and the raptors can be trained and flown in comfort all year round. There’s also a flying field where you can watch the birds flying free in the open air, swooping in and around the woods and hedgerows that surround Hatton Country World.
You might get to meet the likes of Edgar the very handsome Indian Eagle Owl, Iris and Ely the very teeny and cute Little Owls, Bogot the gorgeous European Eagle Owl and Lorenzo the Lanner Falcon, or his buddy Launcelot the Merlin. All the birds here at Arden Falconry are treated as part of the family and are well-trained and kept by their falconers.
The ‘Hands-on’ experience is a wonderful introduction to falconry and the one we’d recommend if you’ve got youngsters interested in taking part. The half day is most popular with individuals and couples who want more time to meet and fly the birds, while the full day goes more in-depth into what’s involved in breeding, caring for and training raptors. By the end of it you’ll feel you know the birds really well!
As well as offering falconry in Warwick, you can enjoy those walks by the canal, let the kids play at the adventure park (entry is included for all participants of falconry experiences) and have a browse of the shops and antiques centre at Hatton Shopping Village. And of course, there are plenty of places to pick up a bite to eat or a coffee.
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All dates are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Half and full day courses usually start at 10.30am
• Hands on Falconry Experience: Minimum age 8
• Half/Full day Falconry: Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating or spectating adult
• Spectators are welcome but are required to pay the entrance fee to Hatton County World
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Hatton Country World, Hatton, Warwick