• Introduction to rock climbing
• Learn about safety, climbing techniques, climbing etiquette, knots & belaying, introduction to climbing & bouldering
• Half days last around four hours with a start time of 9am
• Full days last around seven hours and start at 9am
• You will need to wear loose fitting clothing (no jeans) and trainers
• Due to the nature of the locations, waterproof and warm clothing is advised
• All climbing and safety equipment is provided
• Activities are run in groups, with a maximum size of 12 people
• All instructors are experienced and hold relevant qualifications from MLTUK (mountain Leader Training UK) as well as first aid and safety qualifications.
What Can I Expect
Rock climbing in Kent is a great way to have fun, get fit and be in the great outdoors! These rock climbing sessions take place on the Kentish sandstone near Tunbridge Wells and they are ideal half and full day sessions for those who want to have a go at the 'real deal' in an outdoor setting.
The climbing courses run by this Kent-based outfit are designed to introduce total beginners (or indoor climbers) to the world of climbing outdoors. It’s an ideal way for anyone thinking of taking up climbing as a sport to get an idea of what is involved. The emphasis is on allowing beginners to try out the sport, have fun and learn the basic techniques of climbing.
During the session you will cover belaying (rope techniques), safety awareness, practical climbing skills and you’ll be introduced to bouldering. Going a little further into the teaching, the full day option also introduces climbing etiquette and using guidebooks, route selection and more in depth techniques.
Of course, if you’ve never been climbing before, it’s sure to be a bit nerve-wracking. But fear not, the instructors at this Kent climbing school are all really good at encouraging you, giving clear, easy to follow instructions and (literally) helping you find your first foot and hand holds on those sandy rocks.
You'll be at the popular Harrison's Rocks, a rare outcrop of sandstone crag in south east Kent that attracts many climbers. The rocks reach a height of 40 feet in places and provide over 300 different climbs catering for climbers of all abilities. Routes are graded, so you’ll start easy and as confidence grows, you’ll tackle trickier climbs.
All courses in rock climbing in Kent are tailored to your ability, so it doesn't matter if you have future ambitions of climbing a 4000m+ alpine mountain, or just want to give it a go to test yourself and see if you can do it. Whatever your motivation, the fully qualified, friendly and enthusiastic instructors will ensure you have a great time learning how to climb.
• Selected weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Usually running at least once a month from March to October
• Half days run from 9am to around 1pm
• Full days run from 9am to around 4pm
• The maximum weight limit is 18 stone (115kgs)
• The minimum age requirement is 18 years
• There is no maximum age limit however you need to be reasonably agile to get the most from this experience
• Spectators are welcome but numbers are limited
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• There are no shops nearby so participants and spectators are advised to bring their own refreshments and lunch
• Rock climbing activities usually take place at Harrison's Rocks on the Kent/Sussex border