• Take a lesson in a fixed wing or flex wing microlight
• Ground briefing and explanation of the aircraft
• Learn how the controls influence the flight of the aircraft
• Opportunity to take the controls and fly the microlight for part of the flight
• Choose from a 30, 40 or 60 minute lessons
Air Experience for Two
• 30 minute flight in two flex wing microlights at the same time
What Can I Expect
Browse the online reviews for this microlight school based at Wolverhampton Airfield and you’ll see things like ‘proper airmen’, ‘a friendly bunch’ and ‘experienced and capable’, all of which bodes very well if you’re going on your very first microlight flight out of Halfpenny Green.
And indeed, microlights have been flying at this Wolverhampton airfield with its trio of runways for a great many years. Chief Flying Instructor Steve Wilkes is passionate about his microlighting and has flown more hours in them than he’d care to admit to, so you’re in safe hands with Steve and his team. All the encouragement will be there too if you’re a little bit nervous before going up - and the emphasis is most definitely on fun, with safety paramount at all times.
We are offering 30, 40 and 60 minute flights in your choice of microlight, that's to say fixed or flexed. Halfpenny Green is a fabulous place to explore the West Midlands from the air in your microlight, swooping along the wonderful Severn Valley, or soaring over the neighbouring Shropshire Hills. But it’s not all about the view, you’ll have to chance to have a go at this microlight flying lark too, with you being invited to take the controls during your flight should you fancy it.
And we must give a special mention to the Air Experience for two. You will each be allocated a microlight and an instructor and you’ll both take off at the same time, in what they call a ‘pairs departure’. Once up in the air, there’ll be some formation flying, plenty of opportunity for a bit of ‘air to air’ photography and most definitely the time to whoop and holler and wave at your fellow microlight buddy just alongside you. A unique way to go microlighting in the West Midlands, that’s for sure!
So whether you’re chasing sunsets over the Severn Valley in a fixed wing, or climbing into the big blue of a midday sky over Halfpenny Green in a flexi, you’ll love your chance to be at the controls of a microlight out of Wolverhampton Airport. And remember, if you book as a duo on the air experience, you’re in for the extra thrill of formation take off and flying!
• Weekdays and weekend dates throughout the year
• Dates and session times are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Maximum weight 14.5 stone for flexwing and 15.5 stone for fixed wing
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch from the viewing area
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Refreshments can be purchased from the onsite cafe
• Suitable outdoor clothing and sensible footwear should be worn
• Participants must call on the day of their flight for an assessment of weather conditions
• Halfpenny Green Airport, Stourbridge