• A canoeing or kayak trip on the River Thames lasting around two and a half hours
• Welcome and safety briefing by an qualified instructor
• London views
• All safety equipment provided
Eel Pie Island Canoe Trip
• Canoe from Richmond to Eel Pie Island and back
• There will be up to three people in each canoe
• A minimum of two people are required for this experience
Richmond Kayak Trip
• Canoe from Richmond for a circular kayak trip on the River Thames
• You will form part of a small group of up to 8 participants
What Can I Expect
Take to the water with a serene kayak or canoe tour of London! This is your chance to explore the Thames, embarking from Richmond as a group, led by one of the enthusiastic and very capable instructors. And of course, everything you need is included and there’s no previous canoe experience needed!
For these fun-filled days out that get you away from all the bustle of London, you have the choice of a kayak or a canoe tour. This centre uses stable, open canoes that are shared. They are brilliant to paddle as a group and it’s camaraderie all the way. They are also easy to get the hang of, which means you’ll soon get into the relaxed way of life on the water as you drift along the river.
And if you go for the kayaking outing, you’ll be in your own kneeling or sit down kayak. That means the power is all down to you (and your arms!), but don’t worry if you’ve never paddled before, as a warm up and technique session is always included
Indeed, the experience starts on the riverbank, as you meet your instructor and guide at the Petersham slipway in Richmond. And of course, this venue has British Canoe Union approved (BCU) fully qualified, passionate instructors and you will all be kitted out in all the safety gear needed and also given the essential tool of the trade; the paddle.
Once you have launched onto the water in the canoes or kayaks, you will paddle peacefully upstream on the Thames. There will be little challenges for you to complete as you go and you may get as far to Eel Pie Island in Twickenham. Eel Pie Island is a superb little private island that is only accessible by footbridge or boat and this delightful place is home to a small number of houses and artists’ studios, making it an interesting and unusual destination to aim for in your vessel.
During these trips there is often the chance to stop off at The White Swan; a quaint little 17th century pub in Twickenham, that could almost be anywhere in the middle of the English countryside. If you arrive at the right time, you may experience a gentle tide lapping around your garden table.
These sociable and laid back riverside tours of the Thames and Eel Pie Island will last around two and a half hours. Don’t hesitate, take advantage of this fantastic kayak or canoeing in London offer from Into the Blue and get paddling!
• Available on selected weekend dates between June and September
• This activity is weather dependent
• Minimum age eight
• All under 18's must be accompanied by a participating adult
• Clothing suitable to the weather and soft soled shoes should be worn
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Paddle from the slipway at Petersham, Richmond