Two Hour Kayaking Session
• A welcome and safety briefing before getting in the water
• Learn the basic techniques of kayaking including: self rescue and safety techniques, balance, turns and paddle techniques,
• Sessions are run by experiences BSUPA instructors
• All specialised equipment is provided, including wetsuits and buoyancy aids
• You will form part of a group of up to 6 people
What Can I Expect
Go kayaking in Gloucestershire and have a pleasant paddle out on the waters of a rather special place! With sessions geared towards beginners, it’s the perfect chance to give the ever-popular paddle sport of kayaking a go.
Not far from the Welsh border at Chepstow you’ll find Tidenham Quarry. After being mined for limestone, the big hole was flooded and the lake was created in 1996. By 2003 it had become centre for watersports. Nowadays there’s an expansive programme of activities both on land and on the water, a superb cafe and restaurant called The View, on site camping and good changing/shower facilities for guests too.
From out on the man-made pontoons at one of the lake, it’s certainly an impressive site, with steep, rocky sides and trees overhanging at the top. This quarry is huge and the water is an incredible colour, almost an azure blue. Hard to believe you’re actually just off the A48 near Chepstow rather than kayaking along somewhere rather more tropical!
As you’d expect, everything you need to go kayaking at this Gloucestershire lake is included and that means tuition too. If you’ve never tried kayaking before, you might find yourself standing on the dock wondering how on earth you climb into the thing. Well, there is a knack to it, but your instructor will explain all.
In a kayak you sit up straight, with your legs stretched out in front of you and your feet pressing against the foot supports. You’ll also be shown how to hold the paddle. Simple as it sounds, this is often where beginners go wrong, as there is a front and back and a top and bottom to a paddle! Get it right and you’ll find with each stroke you power rather efficiently through the water.
We are offering two hour sessions to learn kayaking at this Gloucestershire centre. You can buy individual vouchers, or go for a family pass, which is valid for two adults and two children. It’s a great place for all the family to get active and get out on the water kayaking together - with the reward of a stop off at the View restaurant with panoramic vistas of the quarry afterwards!
• Selected weekdays and weekends between April and October
• This experience takes place in all weathers
• Minimum age 13
• Family tickets are valid for 2 adults and 2 children
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• National Diving & Activity Centre, Chepstow, Glouc NP16