• Sessions last around two hours for two or more people
• Sessions for one person last around an hour
• When booking for one the instruction is on a 1:1 basis
• When booking for two or more there is a maximum group size of six per instructor on moving water or eight per instructor on flat water
• Other related water sport experiences are available on our main
canoeing and kayaking home page.
What Can I Expect
Kayaking North Wales - take to the water with an exhilarating experience based in Llangollen, North Wales. During this fantastic experience you will embark on your first steps towards kayaking, with the benefit of expert help and the added bonus of beautiful surroundings for this fun to learn activity.
Your kayaking session is set on the picturesque River Dee and the trip will be set against the scenic countryside of North Wales. The lesson begins with registration and provision of all the equipment you will need, including buoyancy aid, safety helmet and kayak to suit your height and build.
Each group will be led by a qualified instructor who will give a full safety briefing and demonstration of the equipment before you get afloat. The tuition will take place on a calm stretch of the river or nearby canal section, so you can concentrate on developing your technique without fear of being carried off on the current.
You will gain knowledge of how to control your kayak, learning the basic essential flat water skills, including paddling forwards and backwards in a straight line, turning around, moving sideways and stopping.
When your instructor has finished the basic control skills and the theory of the capsize drill, it is time to kit you out, ready for your adventure. Soon you will be let loose to explore the open water. Here, you will have the chance to put your newly acquired skills to the test on the moving white water (don’t worry, they’re not gnarly rapids!).
All our instructors are passionate and enthusiastic, they love to paddle, and their admiration of the sport will make this experience hard to forget, leaving you wanting more. Luckily, as your confidence on the water grows with time, before the end of your kayaking lesson, there is always time for a few games of kayak tag to round things off!
• This experience is available all year round, however please note availability may be limited during winter months (November - February)
• Sessions typically start at 09:00 and 13:00
• Minimum age 8
• There is no upper age limit
• Pregnant women are not permitted to take part
• You do not have to know how to swim, but you need to be confident in moving water
• You will need to wear a t-shirt, swimsuit and shoes you do not mind getting wet
• All other equipment will be provided
• Changing facilities are available on site
• You need to take your own towels
• Family and friends are welcome to spectate from the canal side for flat water kayaking
Anything Else I Need To Know?