• Choose from a 3 or 5 hour experience
• Learn traditional blacksmithing techniques
• Use heat and a hammer to forge a practical or decorative item from raw iron
• Create a sword, ring or other keepsake with your own hands
• Take away a beautiful crafted piece of ironwork, created by you!
• You will form part of a small group of up to 8 participants
Forging & Tasting Experience
• A 3 hour blacksmith experience
• Make a bottle opener or corkscrew
• Tour and tasting at your choice of the following venues
Hillside Brewery Family owned and run brewery, built on traditional skills and values
Weston's Cider Producers of award winning cider and perry draft and bottled products
White Castles Vineyards Dedicated to producing a variety of quality welsh wines using first class viticultural practices
What Can I Expect
Visit Oldfield Forge and join the merry band of blacksmiths to make your very own forged iron keepsake! Spend time discovering how the age-old methods and traditions of blacksmithing are being kept very much alive at this fascinating workshop and academy in the country.
Deep in the heart of the West Herefordshire countryside you’ll find Oldfield Forge. It’s a bucolic scene, with wildflower meadows, woodlands and even little shepherding huts to chill out in whilst the children play outside. As well as the chirping of the birds and swishing of the trees in the wind, you might just hear the sound of metal on metal. That’ll be the bustling blacksmith academy…
Not only unique in Herefordshire, this is the country’s only purpose-built blacksmithing training facility. The academy operates alongside a very successful family-run ironwork business producing everything from latches, stays, bells and tie backs, to bespoke designed and forged gates and furniture. Creating ironworks in both contemporary and classic styles, this is our industrial heritage at its very best, producing high-quality practical and artistic ironwork. And don’t just take our word for it - this forge carries out a lot of work for historical and ecclesiastical buildings looked after by the likes of National Trust, English Heritage and Cdaw in Wales.
And indeed it’s fascinating to watch the skilled blacksmiths at work, as the iron is heated to red hot, then twisted, bent and cut to create the most amazing forms and shapes. But of course, you’re not just here to watch, this is very much a hands-on forging experience and you will be joining the Herefordshire blacksmiths to learn how to make your very own, bespoke iron keepsake, handcrafted by yourself.
We are offering three and five hour blacksmithing courses at the academy where you'll work on your own creation. There's also the rather special workshop called ‘Forging and Tasting’. For this you’ll spend time at Oldfield Forge making your very own bottle opener or corkscrew, which will come in very handy for the next part of the experience, which involves touring and tasting at a local beverage producer, including cider, beer and wine makers. Now that’s what we call an inspired day out!
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All dates are subject to availability
• Minimum age 18
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• A picnic lunch is available to purchase for an additional £8.50 payable when booking your date
• Hereford, Herefordshire