• Numbers are limited to four students for each class, ensuring everyone taking part will benefit from personal attention from the tutor
• All materials and tools are provided
• The items you make are yours to keep at the end of the course
What Can I Expect
Here’s your chance to have a go at a hobby that’ll see you working colour and form on this one day stained glass class in London! The full day workshop is held in a charming studio in the Stoke Newington area of London - an area renowned for artists and creative types.
Indeed, this inventive workshop provides budding artists with a perfect introduction in how to craft your own pieces of stained glass. Your lesson will take the whole day, so you will have plenty of time to learn the new skills and techniques you’ll need to be able to create your very own masterpiece, as a wonderful souvenir of your day that you will, of course, be able to take home with you.
What is really special about these London courses is that you gain a new and creative ability, working side by side with accomplished stained glass artists, with each course giving a practical overview of the complete stained glass making process. During your session you will learn how to use some of the specialist glazing tools, some of which have hardly changed in hundreds of years, including things like lead and oyster knives, grozing pliers and glass cutters to name but a few.
The day will begin with the design process, which allows you to think through the style and look of what you want to make out of your pieces of stained glass. The next step is the creation of a full scale drawing, which is then used as the basis for your glass work. Then you will be shown how to cut the different coloured and textured glass pieces to size and shape, before stretching and cutting the lead to fit around them.
You then complete your panel by soldering the joints and cementing the glass firmly in place before polishing it so it shines and reflects the light in a most magical way. And it’s worth remembering that all the materials (glass, lead, solder and tools) you will be making use of are all included in your one day stained glass package.
Don’t be put off if you have no artistic experience, as all lessons are specifically designed to teach guests from absolute beginners level. All that’s required is a bit of enthusiasm to get you started and by the end of the day, you will have the skills to practice your new found hobby at home so you can start creating lovely glass pieces as presents for friends and family.
• Courses typically run from 10:00 to 16:30 on Saturdays
• Courses are held throughout the year on Saturdays unless there is a group of four in which case it can be run during a week day
• Courses are open to anyone over the age of 13 with good eyesight and able bodied
• The stained glass course is a fairly physical activity and is unsuitable for wheelchair users as the workshop is small and benches are fixed in height
• The stained glass course involves some potentially messy processes so you are advised to wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you don't mind getting dirty
• The class is not suitable for spectators
• Coffee, tea and biscuits will be provided
• Lunch is not included but there are plenty of cafes nearby
• Stoke Newington is well served by local London rail and bus services and parking is available outside the studio for those travelling by car
Anything Else I Need To Know?