• A full day Creative Workshop
• A hearty meal is served for lunch
• Tea, coffee and a range of juices are available throughout the day alongside a selection of cakes and biscuits
• All equipment and tools are provided
• Four creative activities to choose from
Jewellery and Decorations
• Create a range of glass decorations and accessories
• Learn to fuse coloured glass fragments in a hot glass kiln
• Discover safe etch printing techniques using foils and plastics as your surface
• Enjoy creating your safe etch palette and printing the masterpiece
Lino Block or Wood Cuts
• Experience monochrome and colour relief lino printing techniques
• Allow the natural surroundings to inspire you to plan and carve a lino block
Batik and Ink
• Use specialist tools known as tjanting to draw wax onto silk and canvas
• Explore shape and pattern by using an ancient and cultural technique of hot wax baltic
What Can I Expect
Get creative in a stunning setting on these craft courses in Yorkshire! Home for the Uncles Creative Workshop is a renovated farmhouse in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. With collie dogs running around the courtyard and sheep grazing in the fields of the beautiful Walden Valley right outside the door, we can’t think of a better place to get your artistic juices flowing!
These crafty workshops are the brainchild of Art teacher Katherine Ralph. She and her husband decided to escape the rat-race and settle in the traditional farming community of Burton-sum-Walden near Wensleydale. A lovely bespoke workshop was built and Uncles Workshop was born.
What is utterly delightful about these creative workshops and craft courses is that it has an artist’s retreat kind of feel to it all. It’s all very relaxed, with a proper North Yorkshire welcome guaranteed (the kettle is always on for tea!), time to chat and teaching that’s very much undertaken at your pace.
The workshop itself is light and airy, with those stunning Yorkshire Dales views framed like landscape paintings by the windows. It’s all designed to be inspiring and it certainly succeeds. Even if you haven’t sat down and tried anything remotely artistic since your school days, these courses are stimulating and very much encourage expressiveness and originality.
Batik, glass fusing, litho printing, wood block carving and etching are all on the programme at this art centre. Many of these artistic methods are centuries old and still use the traditional tools, yet even today they produce startlingly vibrant results that will really impress you.
We think these classes are quite possibly one the best arty things to do in the Yorkshire Dales, so it’s of little surprise that these one day courses very often sell out well in advance, so be sure to get booked in for your workshop of choice as soon as you can. Class sizes are kept small, to maintain the friendly approach to the teaching and everything you need is provided for you, right down to a lovely lunch with many of the ingredients coming straight from the farm. All you have to bring to these craft courses in Yorkshire is yourself.
• Your chosen session will start at 10am and continues into the afternoon
• Minimum age of 16
• Not suitable for spectators
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Free parking on site
• A workshop in Burton-cum-Walden,Yorkshire Dales