WW2 Flying Experience Day
• Chipmunk briefing followed by a 30 minute flight
• Personal video of your chipmunk flight to take home
• Two course lunch for you and a guest in the airfield cafe
• Pre-flight Harvard briefing
• 30 minute Harvard flight with stunning coastal views
• Bottle of champagne on touchdown to toast your flight (can be taken home)
• Personal video of your Harvard flight to take home
• Mounted photo, of you in 1940's original vintage flying gear with an authentic backdrop
What Can I Expect
Get ready to check in for your vintage military flying day! If you’re a fan of historic aircraft, you will love this aviation experience that gives you two 30-minute flights in two classic military trainers - the Chipmunk and the Harvard.
First up is the Chippy. This is 1950s aviation at its very best. In fact, the Chipmunk was so good that it served as the military trainer of choice for the RAF Air Cadets all the way through to the 1990s. Now that’s what we call dedicated military service. Ask pretty much anyone who learnt to fly in the Forces and they’ll only have good things to say about this most elegant of aircraft. It’s pure joy to fly and to fly in.
Almost as legendary as the Chipmunk is the cafe at Compton Abbas. This is where you and your guest will be invited for your two-course lunch in between your vintage military flying escapades. The cafe affords lovely views right across the runway, stretching as far as Stourhead Gardens. It’s a great place to watch the action too, with a large terrace and garden area.
Refuelled and refreshed, you’ll be ready for the afternoon’s exploits. This time it’s the turn of the formidable Harvard. Quite simply, this plane will take your breath away. One of the finest examples of a North American Aviation T-6 Texan currently flying in the UK, she is utterly resplendent in US Navy training colours and ridiculously photogenic too.
It’s a real honour to be able to fly in such an historic aircraft. N6972C was built in the States in 1946 and served as a trainer to both the US Army and Navy, eventually landing at Compton Abbas in 2016 to take up her new role as the star crowd-pleaser. You can’t miss that 600bhp engine. The sound is incredible. And you’ll be right up there in the cockpit of this accomplished warbird, experiencing those low-level flypasts from the co-pilot’s seat. And if you’re up for it, there could well be the chance for you to get inverted in the Texan too!
Once back on the ground, what better way to celebrate your duo of flights on your vintage military flying day than with a Champagne toast in front of the aircraft? A very fine way to round off the day you flew in both the Chipmunk and the Harvard out of Compton Abbas.
• Available throughout the year on selected weekdays and weekends
• Flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• You must call on the morning of your flight to check that weather conditions are suitable
• Minimum age 14
• All under 18's must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Maximum weight limit is 18 stone
• Maximum height 6'4"
• Friends and family can join in your experience and can listen in on briefing, watch the take off and landing from the runway terrace
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Compton Abbas Airfield, Salisbury, Dorset