• A 1:1 microlight lesson at Strathaven Airfield
• Choose from a 30 or 40 minute lesson or an 80 minute Landaway flight
• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• Fly with a UK Civil Aviation Authority licensed instructor
• Allow 1 hour on site for the 30 and 40 minute experience and 2 hours for the 80 minute experience
• Both fixed and flex wing microlights are available
What Can I Expect
Fly in a microlight from Strathaven and see some rather grand sights from the air! Strathaven Airfield in South Lanarkshire is a lovely place for an outing in a microlight and this operator has a full range of flight durations, from a taster trip around the local area, to a 'land away' experience to another airfield.
If Strathaven Airfield sounds familiar, it may be because Colin, who owns the airfield and runs this microlighting school (where he is also Chief Flying Instructor) featured on Grand Designs with his wife Marta when they built a stunning contemporary house right on the airfield - perfect for keeping an eye on the comings and goings on the runway!
So as well as getting to see something of an architectural TV star on your microlight lesson at Strathaven, what else can you expect? Well, a friendly West Scotland welcome is assured and with so much stunning countryside on the doorstep of this airfield, even the shortest flight duration offers up some spectacular views.
We are offering 30, 40 and 80 minute flights out of Strathaven. Climb into your fleece-lined flying suit and get ready for the off in your super light microlight. If you opt for the half hour flight, you'll see the house on the airfield (of course!) and sights such as Strathaven Castle, the multicoloured town centre and the large country houses dotted around its outskirts. There'll also be time for a low-level fly past back at the airstrip so friends and family can get those in-action shots!
On the 40 minute trip you heading could take out towards Bothwell Castle or the lovely Tinto Hill and then over towards Prestwick and the Clyde Coast. If you go for the landaway lesson, you'll get a real feel for what microlighting is all about, with the possibility to take an outward flight cross country to land at another airfield such as Cumbernauld, before heading back to Strathaven. And for the return leg you can sit up front in the microlight to get that proper captain's view of Lanarkshire from the air!
We think going up in a microlight at Strathaven airfield is a great choice for any aviation fans in South Lanarkshire. With the wonders of West Scotland ready to be discovered from the air (and you can even see Ireland on a clear day!) we think these lessons offer a great combination of teaching and sightseeing all rolled into one.
• 7 days a week excluding Tuesdays afternoons, subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18's must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Height restrictions: minimum 5ft 2ins, maximum 6ft 3ins
• Maximum weight 17st 3lbs
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch
• There are picnic tables, a biplane climbing frame and a self-serve tea and coffee kitchenette on site
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• You can choose from a flex or fixed wing aircraft upon booking, subject to availability
• Comfortable clothing should be worn
• Lace up shoes or trainers should be worn, slip on shoes are not suitable
• Heated gloves are supplied
• Flight times are chock to chock
• Strathaven Airfield, Scotland