• Take control of a microlight and enjoy the amazing scenery and landmarks of Cornwall
• Introduction and safety briefing
• Choose from a 30 or 60 minute lesson
• Flights are available in a fixed wing Ikarus C42 or flex wing P & M Quik GT430 microlight
What Can I Expect
Head off in a microlight over Cornwall for some super light flying with grade A views included! Bodmin Airfield is the perfect location for having your first go in a microlight.
And what a great airfield it is! Originally a farm, the aerodrome was purpose built for General Aviation use by plane enthusiast and well-known local Cornish business owner Mike Robertson. In 1972 the airfield was sold to the flying club that now owns and runs it as a non-profit organisation, ensuring aviation is as affordable as possible, so the enthusiasm for microlighting in Cornwall can continue for generations to come.
As well as the sound business set up Bodmin boasts, you can’t ignore the fabulous scenery. Within minutes of taking off you’ll be treated to aerials views of Cornwall that’ll take some beating as you cruise along in your microlight. Expect rugged coastline, swathes of blue blue sea, hidden bays and rolling green countryside too. All pretty idyllic we think you’d agree.
So what sort of microlight will you be getting airborne in? This Cornish club has chosen to go with the both fixed wing and flex wing microlights. The Ikarus C42, is a German-built ultra light aircraft that has started a bit of a revolution in the light aviation industry.
In essence, these modern, closed-cockpit, fixed wing microlights have brisk acceleration (having even won World Speed Records), are easy to fly and comfortable too, with plenty of legroom, good views from the cockpit and a feeling of stability too. You’ll also be surprised about how quiet it is in the air. But one of the best things (as well as actually getting to have a go at flying one of these microlights) is the fact that they have gull-wing doors to get into the cockpit!
But if you want to go authentic, it has to be the flex-wing P&M GT430 microlight. This is all about the wind-in-your-hair moment, as you go soaring over Cornwall in an open cockpit aircraft. Nothing beats that feeling as you taxi off in these quirky little flying machines - and it’s all so different from your typical light aircraft.
We are currently offering 30 and 60 minute flights in a club-owned and maintained microlight from Cornwall’s loveliest little aerodrome near Bodmin. And be warned, once you’ve flown an Ikarus or a P&M, it could be the start of a wonderful new hobby…
• The Club is usually open seven days a week, subject to weather conditions
• The minimum age is 14
• Parental/guardian consent is required for all participants under 18
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Spectators are welcome to watch the take off and landing from the viewing area
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Drinks and light refreshments are available to purchase on site at the Fuel Bay Bistro
• Bodmin Airfield, just off the A30 near Cardinham