• This flying school operates the popular Ikarus C42 which has traditional aircraft controls
• Lessons include a pre-flight briefing with your instructor, an introduction to the aircraft and controls, the chance to take the controls during your flight
• Afterwards you will be presented with a personalised flight certificate
• You will be in the air for the majority of your selected microlight lesson time
Check out our main
microlights page for more memorable flights around the UK.
What Can I Expect
Combine the sensations of microlighting with the fine views over Dorset! The delightfully named Compton Abbas Airfield is nestled in the South Downs between Blandford and Shaftesbury, not far from Salisbury and offers a very tranquil setting for your adventure into microlighting.
Even the history of the airfield is quite touching. It seems the farmer who owned the land bought himself a vintage biplane and turned a bit of his land into a grass landing strip for him and his flying friends to use. In 1988 this little airfield was bought and turned into a club that now boasts over 200 members, many of whom choose to go microlighting.
The airfield sits at an altitude of around 800ft, so as soon as you take off in the microlight you'll be struck by the spectacular views. If you head off on a 35 minute flight you'll see Fovant Badges or even the coastal town of Wareham. Choose a 45 minute lesson and you'll get a bird's eye view of the Cerne Abbas Giant or Purbeck Hills and if you plump for 60 minutes in a microlight you may go as far as Lulworth Cove.
A good choice of lesson times then for your foray into microlighting from this most picturesque of English airfields. And what's more, the airfield restaurant is an award-winning one that the club is extremely proud of, offering the perfect way to celebrate after coming back down to earth post flight.
• Microlights fly all year round except for a short break over Christmas time
• All flights are subject to weather conditions
• Weight shift (hang glider style) flights are not currently available
*Microlight Flights are temporarily unavailable till September 2017 - booking are currently being taken for after this date*
• Maximum weight limit is 90kg
• Minimum age is 14 years
• There is no maximum age limit
• Spectators will love a visit to this friendly airfield
• There is an excellent restaurant and licensed bar on site with indoor and outdoor seating as well as a terrace with spectacular views out across the runway and almost 30 miles to the horizon
• The flying school can advise on local accommodation, pubs and restaurants
• If you prefer you can even camp out next to the airfield
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The airfield is close to the town of Shaftesbury, around 20 miles West of Salisbury
• Flights give excellent view of some of the most stunning scenery in England