• An Open Cockpit Gyrocopter Experience
• Choose from 10, 30, 60 or 90 minute flight
• Pre-Flight briefing and explanation of the controls (an extended briefing is provided for 60 and 90 minute flights)
• Flying suit and helmet are provided
What Can I Expect
Get a taste of what rotary aerial sport is all about when you take a trial lesson in a gyrocopter near Wolverhamptonr! You will be flying in an open cockpit gyroplane out of Halfpenny Green Airport, a small and friendly airfield and club, in between Wolverhampton and Kidderminster.
The lead gyrocopter instructor here at Sandtoft is Jim Hughes and he loves flying these agile little machines. So much so that he is often called upon by Rotorsport UK, the country’s leading gyro designer and manufacturer, to fly their latest aircraft as a demo pilot at open days and fly ins. Little wonder then, that this Wolverhampton Airport-based school also uses the latest Rotorsport gyroplanes for these taster experiences.
We are offering the full range of lessons, with 10, 30, 60 and 90 minute flights available. All will start off with a ground briefing before you actually get airborne, with those on the 60 and 90 minute sessions benefiting from a more in-depth briefing covering principles of basic flight, upper air work and so on (just as anyone starting training to be a gyro pilot would receive).
Talking of principles of flight, it’s not easy to explain how a gyrocopter flies, but in essence it’s all about the rotor above your head that turns with the wind (autorotation) to give you lift and the engine behind you that propels you forward. And as Jim himself puts it: “This unique combination of gaining lift and thrust from two separate systems with separate power sources makes flying a gyrocopter a unique experience; it’s almost like a helicopter and a plane rolled into one.”
For these lessons out of Halfpenny Green you’ll be in an open cockpit gyrocopter (a closed cockpit gyro may be booked if you pay a supplement to the gyro school), so the exhilaration of flying in the ‘open air’ is most definitely guaranteed and although you’ll be kitted out in a proper flying suit and there’s a little windshield in front of your seat, it is very much flying with the elements, but that is what make flying in a gyrocopter around Wolverhampton so much fun!
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• Flights are subject to weather conditions and availability
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Weight restrictions: maximum 17 stone (108kg), minimum 6 stone (38kg)
• A good, general level of fitness is required
• Please seek medical advise if you have previously suffered a heart condition or other medical conditions such as back or neck
• This experience is not suitable during pregnancy
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Participants should wear comfortable outdoor clothing and closed-toe footwear
• Bring gloves to wear during the flight
• Enclosed cockpit flights are available for an additional charge payable when booking your date
• Halfpenny Green Airport near Wolverhampton