A Gliding Experience
• All sessions begin with an introduction and safety briefing
• 5-10 minutes of flying instruction
• A 1000ft winch tow which will last around 5-10 mins
Introduction to Gliding
• 15 minutes of flying instruction
• A launch either by 2000ft aerotow or up to two winch launches
• 20 minutes of flying instruction
• A launch either by 3000ft aerotow or up to three winch launches
One Day Course
• Pre-flight briefings and either three 2000ft aerotows or equivalent winch launches
• Personal log book and gliding information
• Please note it is not guaranteed that all flights will take place on the same day
What Can I Expect
There's no better place for a gliding lesson in Corby than at this cracking club! Boasting some serious pedigree dating back to the 1950s, it's all about excellent facilities that you'd normally associate with a club that's a lot bigger. We think it's a great place to enjoy anything from a taster glider flight to a full day gliding course in their two seater Grob Acro or Schleicher K13 aircraft.
The passion for gliding here is clear, ever since founder member John Knight had an idea for gliding in the area back in 1955. He approached his employer, Frank Perkins the diesel engine builders, to see if the proposal would be accepted by the company's Sports Association - and it was! Since then, the group has flown under various names and at many different locations, but now this glider club has been settled in Corby since 1990, where it offers lessons to everyone from complete beginners, to those wanting to fly solo.
With around 40 members today, the site has a friendly clubhouse and there's hangar that sits in a sheltered hollow, making it the perfect home for several club and privately owned gliders. For launching, there is a winch system that can pull you up to between 1000 and 1300ft, as well as a Rallye tug plane that can take you even higher before your release over the gentle rolling Corby countryside, which, we have been reliably informed by the Chief Gliding Instructor, makes it ideal for thermal soaring - the holy grail on all lessons!
If you opt for the basic Taster Flight, you're in for a five to ten minute thrill in the air by winch launch. On the Intro experience in Corby, the duty instructor will decide on the day which launch method you will be using for your lesson. It could be one long aerotow flight lasting anything up to fifteen minutes, or up to two winch launches (which means double the landing fun!) that give you up to fifteen minutes air time.
Those seeking to soar like a bird for longer should go for the one day course for a trio of aerotow flights (or the equivalent time in winch tows) across a full day spent at the club. Whichever experience you choose, we know you will love this small and friendly club for your gliding lesson near Corby.
• Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays from March to October
• Minimum age 12
• Under 18's must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Minimum weight 7 stone
• Maximum weight of 16 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 2ins
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Brigstock, Nr Corby, Northamptonshire