• Welcome, introduction and safety briefing
• Flights are launched using a towplane to 2000ft, or as soaring conditions require
• East flight lasts a minimum of 20 minutes and frequently a lot longer
• Three months membership of the Black Mountains Gliding Club
• If you opt for the gliding for two, you will receive one flight each and membership
What Can I Expect
Experience some of the most amazing lift conditions possible in a glider with our Black Mountains gliding adventure! Soar above the imposing peaks and take in all the spectacular scenery of Mid Wales from 2,000ft in the air, whilst learning what it takes to become a glider pilot with mid-air tuition.
This friendly aero club is at 970ft above sea level at the foot of the Black Mountains in Powys, a gliding mecca for those in the know. The unique topography of the area around the airfield means that average flight times from Talgarth Airfield are some of the longest in the whole of the UK, as you can catch thermal, mountain and ridge lifts, all keeping you soaring and gaining height for as long as possible. In fact the record altitude from this unique mountain setting is a head-spinning 32000ft!
There are four options to choose from at this glider club – one-to-one sessions for between one and three tows, or an experience for two, where each of you will receive an individual flight. All sessions include tuition and instruction, before you get towed up by the club’s Pawnee tug plane and released. There, thousands of feet up in your own glider, you’ll experience the full majesty of the Black Mountains as you glide over the Brecon Beacons National Park in a silent graceful flight back down to earth.
All of the Black Mountains glider flights last a minimum of 20 minutes, but thanks to the aforementioned thermals, airtime is frequently much longer. Because all the gliders are dual control, this isn’t just a pleasure flight – you’ll be invited to take the controls under the strict supervision of your gliding instructor, enabling you to seize the proverbial piloting reins on every session.
Every Black Mountains instructor is fully BGA (British Gliding Association) qualified and the great advantage of this venue is that the club is open all year round, so you can opt for a flight over the snow-capped mountains in winter, or take in a stunning Welsh sunset during the long summer days. Perfect for flying enthusiasts or anyone wanting to enjoy the Welsh countryside from a new perspective, Black Mountains gliding is an unforgettable aeronautical excursion.
• Weekdays and weekends in British Summer Time
• Weekends and Bank Holidays in Winter
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18's must be accompanied on the airfield by an adult
• Height Restrictions: maximum 6ft 4ins
• Weight Restrictions: maximum 16 stone
• Spectators are welcome to come along and watch the action
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Soft drinks and snacks are on sale in the clubhouse which also offers tea and coffee making facilities, toilets and showers
• Talgarth, Powys, Wales