• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• The glider flights are aerotows, with the release at around 2000ft
• Your experienced instructor will teach you the basics of gliding
• Although it's just you and the glider pilot onboard during your flight, there may be a 3:1 pupil to instructor ratio throughout the day
• Three months club menbership is included
For visitors that like to see an engine in the front of the aircraft then one of our standard
flying lesson experiences is sure to appeal
What Can I Expect
Dunstable gliding club is a fantastically placed club to take a glider flight, within very easy reach of London and the Home Counties. Sitting pretty on the Dunstable Downs, once you're airborne and soaring through the skies, you'll be able to see for miles and miles, rather like your own personal Google Earth experience!
This grass airfield is just west of Dunstable town centre. Gliding originally took place at Ivinghoe Beacon in the 1930s, but drawing inquisitive crowds every gliding day, the club was evicted for 'spoiling it's peaceful enjoyment by the public' and moved to its current location. As you might guess, gliding activity stalled a little bit during WW2 but since then, membership has really taken off and the fleet now consists of 12 pure gliders, one motor glider and various tug planes.
Dunstable's gliding for beginners is mostly done in the modern ASK21s - tandem planers with superb visibility from the cockpit and well-renowned for being reliable and easy to fly. The collection of non-motorised aircraft also includes a sporty single seater glider, as well as ASK23s, a 13 and a 24. Powered flights comes in the form of the Pilatus PC-11 and, of course, the tow planes.
As you climb aboard the glider for your flight, your pilot instructor will put you at ease before the tug plane starts to pull you into the air. Once airborne and released, (at around 2000ft) you'll be amazed at the view down below - you'll see roads you never knew existed and watch the scenery change before your eyes as you glide over the Dunstable Downs.
It has to be said, this is a very well equipped and friendly glider club, where all members share a common interest - their passion for gliding. Indeed, it's very much a co-operative sport, with several pairs of hands needed to launch and land a glider, so you'll see how all the comes together to make for a convivial, fun and very active Dunstable gliding group that are only too pleased to welcome new members (and worth noting that you get three months' membership to the club with these experiences).
Once back down on terra firma after your breathtaking glider flight experience over Dunstable, you'll have a debrief with the pilot and time to take those all-important photos.
Don't forget, we also cater for nationwide gliding experience gift vouchers at venues outside of the Dunstable/London area.
• This gliding club operates all year round, with many weekdays and weekends available for trial flights
• There are no age restrictions for these glider experiences
• Under 18's must have parental consent
• Under 16's must be accompanied on site by an adult
• Maximum height of 6'4" (1.95m)
• Maximum weight of 100kg (220lbs)
• Minimum height 5'0" (1.5m)
• Spectators are welcome to come and watch
• There is a clubhouse on site providing refreshments and toilet facilities
• This venue is wheelchair accessible
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Bedfordshire, just 20 miles from Greater London
• The club is situated in the beautiful Chilterns on the edge of the town of Dunstable with easy access from the M1/A5