A trial Flying Lesson in a Fixed Wing Light Sport Aircraft
• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• Choose from a 30, 45 or 60 minute lesson
• One months temporary membership to the flying club
What Can I Expect
Get ready to soar over Saltby Airfield in a light sport aircraft! These flying lessons are technically in a microlight class of aircraft, but these amazing little planes look just like conventional light aircraft - just not as expensive to own and run!
If you don't know Saltby, it's an airfield that's gone from being a busy Second World War USAF base, to a tranquil rural airfield that is currently used for recreational flying and lessons today. Although the two main concrete runways remain, much of the original infrastructure has disappeared, but there are still little signs of Saltby's historic past that you might well be able to spot from the air.
Being situated in the East Midlands between Melton Mowbray and Grantham and only a short distance from the A1, Saltby Airfield is easily accessible from a wide area and it's picturesque too, lying in a lovely rural setting between Rutland Water and the Vale of Belvoir. The entrance to the airfield is off the single-track lane connecting the villages of Skillington and Sproxton and a warm welcome awaits at the comfortable and cosy clubhouse that boasts a log burning stove.
Although the flying school is small, the operation at Saltby is highly professional, specialising in teaching new aviators the skills needed to fly a light sport plane in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. The two seater Ikarus C42 aircraft is modern, well-equipped and has a heated cabin. Flying lessons at Saltby adhere to the strict rules and procedures required by the British Microlight Aircraft Association and all instructors are trained to the necessary CAA requirements, so you'll be in safe hands at this airfield.
All flight lessons include a ground briefing before you head out to the Ikarus and get ready to fly out of Saltby. Once you've climbed up and away from the airfield, it'll be your turn to take the controls and learn some of the basics of flying by completing some aerial exercises. Of course, you might prefer to take in the view and take some photos of the wonderful views, it's entirely up to you!
We are offering a full range of flight durations out of Salty airfield with 30, 45 and 60 minute lessons all available. Flying at this airfield tucked away near Grantham happens all year round, giving you plenty of time to book in for your session at a date and time of your choice once you've got your voucher.
• Weekdays and weekends throughout the year
• All flights are subject to availability and weather conditions
• Minimum age 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied on the airfield by and adult
• Maximum weight 15 stone 7lbs (100kg)
• Maximum height 6ft 2 ins
• You may not fly if you are pregnant or under the influence of alcohol or drugs
• You must bring two forms of photographic ID on the day
• Spectators are welcome
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Due to the lightweight nature of these modern sport aircraft they're actually classed as microlights
• Saltby Airfield, Grantham, Lincolnshire
• Conveniently situated in the heart of the East Midlands, between Nottingham, Leicester, Grantham, Oakham and Stamford