• Welcome introduction and safety briefing
• Choose from a 30, 60 or a 90 minute lesson
• 30 and 60 minute experiences may include Staffordshire countryside and market towns, the Peak District National park and/or stately homes and historic houses
• 90 minute experiences may include one of the above or The Dam Busters Run
What Can I Expect
Take to the skies in a light sport aircraft and see what this fantastic lightweight plane can do! Tatenhill is a great place to go flying as there is so much to see from the air, from rolling countryside to posh country houses - all of which you'll be able to check out for yourself on these lessons.
And as for the history of this area, it all starts before you've even climbed aboard the plane. Tatenhill itself was formally known as RAF Tatenhill, serving as a bomber crew training airfield during the Second World War. Built in 1941, little remains of the original facilities, but there is a wartime Bellman Hangar still in use and the control tower too.
Bringing the whole experience right up to date is the CTSW aircraft you'll be flying in. Designed with an incredible power to weight ratio, this modern light aircraft is sporty, nippy and highly manoeuvrable in the air. Being built from carbon fibre composite makes for a super light fuselage and even when fitted with an engine of compatible size to that of a Cessna 152, this CTSW is almost half the weight making it quick and responsive.
What's amazing is that to look at it, the CTSW looks no different to the standard light aircraft you see in general aviation, with a closed cockpit and high-wing, yet it is classed as a microlight. This Tatenhill school chose this ultra light aircraft as it is sturdy, economical and very easy to fly, as you'll find out for yourself on these 60 and 90 minutes lessons.
As well as being given the chance to take the controls during your flight, all lessons are designed (as much as possible) around your interests and wishes. If you're a fan of grandiose castles, the pilot instructors can take a flight path that includes flying over the likes of Chatsworth, Haddon Hall, Shugborough Hall and Bolsover Castle. If you love the landscapes of the Peaks and the parks, you could head towards Dovedale and Bakewell in the Peak District over dales and moorlands.
If you opt for the extended 90 minute microlighting lesson out of Tatenhill, you might like to head further afield to lift the lid on 617 Squadron's famous Dam Busters training programme over the Derwent and Ladybower reservoirs and the magnificent Hope Valley. Wherever you decide to go in your light sport aircraft, we think you will love cruising around this colourful part of the world that is filled with history, grand houses and serene landscapes too.
• Available on selected dates throughout the year, subject to availability
• Please note all flights are weather dependant
• Maximum weight 15 stones 10lbs
• You may not fly if you are pregnant or under the influence of alcohol or drugs
• Minimum age 16
• You must bring two forms of photographic ID on the day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Tatenhill Airfield, Staffordshire