• A pre flight briefing with your instructor
• Your selected flight time in a two Cessna 152 or four seater Cessna 172
• You will do as much of the flying as possible
• Take off and landing are handled by the instructor
• After the flight you will be presented with a first flight certificate
IntotheBlue offers a huge range of alternative venues for
flying lessons nationwide!
What Can I Expect
The sky’s the limit when it comes to these flying lessons over Gloucestershire. The airport offers a selection of taster flying experiences to see if you’ve got what it takes to be a professional pilot, as well as providing a fun aerial adventure over the beautiful Gloucestershire countryside.
With its own private taxiway to the runway, the Staverton Flying School is a fantastic place to get an authentic flying lesson. Although now called Gloucestershire Airport, to many it is still known as Staverton and is an ex-RAF flying lesson training centre that now handles over 90,000 movements each year on three asphalt and one grass runway.
When booking your individual lesson, you’ll have the choice of flying 30, 40 or 60 minutes at Gloucestershire Airport, depending on how much time you’d like at the controls. Each session starts with a safety briefing and an explanation from a qualified flying instructor about the technical details of flying a plane, as well as what you should expect during the flight. It’s then time to go out onto the apron to meet your airborne machine for the day - a Cessna 152 two-seater or 172 four-seater light aircraft, noted for their ease of use and smooth flying.
After pre-flight checks and radio clearance, you’ll taxi down the runway and prepare for take-off on your thrilling flying lesson. Make the most of this wonderful opportunity to watch the landscape around Gloucestershire become a patchwork quilt beneath you, before it’s over to you to take the wheel (that’s what the joystick controller is called) and keep things on track. Cruise steadily through clouds and clear blue skies and let the feeling of raw, mechanical power sink in, before handing back over to the real expert for the final descent.
If you’ve always dreamed of flying a plane, then this is the experience for you. All of the airport-based flying lessons at Gloucestershire Airport are suitable for novices and they also count towards your PPL (Private Pilot License) hours, if you find yourself hooked on flying and want to continue your lessons.
• Flights are available Tuesdays to Saturday throughout the year
• Flights may be postponed if the weather conditions are poor
• Minimum age is 14
• Under 18s must be accomanied by an adult on the airfield
• Maximum weight limit for two seaters is 15 stone
• Participants weighing over 15 stone should purchase the four seater voucher
• Maximum height 6ft 4ins
• Spectators are very welcome to watch the take of and landing
• Passengers are not permitted in flights at this training school
• The nearby Aviator restaurant provides superb views across the airfield with hot and cold food available from 9.00am to 9.00pm every day
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• The flying school is at Gloucestershire
• Halfway between Cheltenham and Gloucester with easy access from Junction 11 of the M5