• Trial flying lesson in a two seater Cessna 150 Aerobat or four seater Cessna 172 Skyhawk
• After a welcome and introduction your instructor will talk you through the pre-flight checks
• Once airborne you will have the chance to take the controls and fly the aircraft
• All flight durations are from 'brakes on to brakes off'
• Personalised flight certificate
What Can I Expect
In a quiet little corner of North Nottinghamshire you’ll find Netherthorpe Airfield. Quite possibly one of the best kept and most organised small airfields we have come across, this perfectly formed aerodrome attracts flying fans from Sheffield, Rotherham, Nottinghamshire and North East Derbyshire for lessons.
This Netherthorpe flying school established in the late 1990s is actually sister company to Dukeries Aviation Ltd, a busy aircraft maintenance company that has been in business since 1968. No surprise then that the every single plane on the fleet here is spick and span, which always leaves a very positive impression on those who fly in them.
The same can be said for the instructing team here too, as they’re always well turned out! But seriously, the likes of Mick and Glenn will certainly leave a lasting impression on you, especially if they are the first pilot to take you up in a light aircraft. Indeed, it has been said you never forget your inaugural lesson in plane, just as you never forget your first solo flight.
Flying solo over the Nottinghamshire countryside might be a fair way off, but right from lesson number one you’ll get a chance to actually fly the aircraft yourself. A ground briefing before your flight will explain how your lesson will pan out and the basic controls of the aircraft. Then it’s time to head out to the plane for your lesson.
We are offering a full range of flying lessons at this airfield near between Sheffield and Worksop, in both two and four seater aircraft. The two seaters are Cessna Aerobats, which are nifty little single piston engined planes. If you opt for a four seater, you can invite someone along as observer to fly in the rear seat. It's subject to pilot approval, but they can watch you and be suitably impressed whilst you’re at the controls!
With its control tower, operations block, clubhouse, garden, fire tender and full maintenance service, we think Netherthorpe Airfield, with its very pleasant farmland surroundings, is a superb place to discover flying. After all, it’s been happening here since 1933 when the original Sheffield Aero Club crew flew their joint-owned Tiger Moth here. That friendly, team-spirited approach remains today.
• Experiences are available weekdays and weekends throughout the year, subject to weather conditions and availability
• Although time slots are allocated please be aware that aircraft lessons are subject to a number of factors which may potentially cause delay to your scheduled time. Whilst every effort will be made to help keep you on time we ask for a degree of latitude owing to the nature of flying, air traffic delays and weather considerations
• Minimum age of 14 years old
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• Photographic ID will be required on the day
Two Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 14 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 1ins
Four Seater Restrictions
• Maximum weight 16 stone
• Maximum height 6ft 3ins
• Spectators are welcome to attend and watch participants in flight with plenty of great photo opportunities
• Participants of the four seater experiences are allowed to bring an interested observer (min age 14) who can observe the lesson from the rear seat (at the discretion of the flight instructor and subject to weather conditions)
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Netherthorpe Airfield, near Worksop, Nottinghamshire