• Your instructor will handle take off and landing
• The opportunity to take the controls of the aircraft for the majority of the flight
• Choose from a 30 or 60 minute flight in a two seater aircraft such as the Cessna 152 or a four seater Piper PA or Cherokee
• At the pilots discretion, you will be able to invite up to two people to accompany you as rear seat passengers on a four seater lesson
What Can I Expect
Take to the skies with a trial flying lesson in North Nottinghamshire! This well organised and friendly centre near Worksop offers a range of lessons in small aircraft with 30 and 60 minutes in a two seater Cessna 152 and 30 or 60 minute flights in a four seater Piper PA.
Retford (Gamston) Airfield was once home to bomb command squadrons, but is now a thriving professionally run airport with all the usual elements of an airport but in miniature, including passenger services and refuelling with a control tower that dominates the skyline overlooking the tarmac runway.
The airfield is also home to this school run by Chief Flying Instructor Steve Ramsden and his team. After taking off on your trial flight, you'll be thousands of feet above the North Nottinghamshire countryside. Depending on the flight time, you might well head over Ladybower Reservoir, the Humber Bridge, Sheffield town centre and Lincoln Cathedral. If you live in the area there's a chance you will be able to spot your house from the air!
Of course, this flight is not just about gazing down at the ground below as a passenger, you'll be positively encouraged take the controls of the aircraft for as long as possible, so you'll be actually flying the plane on your very first lesson. If you choose a four seater plane experience you can invite up to two passengers to enjoy the fun with you, subject to pilot approval.
All instructors offering trial flying lessons at this centre in North Nottinghamshire are fully JAR (Joint Aviation Requirements) European instructor qualified and hold JAR commercial licences. The venue is ideal for 'making a day of it', with The Apron cafe providing good quality food from full English breakfast to Sunday roasts and offering good views of the flying action right outside the window.
• The flying centre is open seven days a week from 09:00 to 18:00 and trial flying lessons are offered subject to availability all year round
• The minimum age for flying is 14
• Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult on the airfield
• There is a minimum height of 4'6" and a maximum height of 6'4"
• The maximum weight for the two seater is 17 stone and four seater planes is 18 stone
• Participants will need to bring two forms of identity including one with a photo eg passport.
• Spectators are welcome to watch
• The airport has excellent facilities in the form of The Apron, a modern, light and bright cafe/bar offering great views of the runway
• A full menu is served including full English breakfast and a lunch menu, with roasts on a Sunday
• There are also toilets and free WiFi too
• The flying school offices are located on the airport and there is free car parking
Anything Else I Need To Know?
• Lessons take place at Retford/Gamston Airport, between Retford and Worksop
• Just off the main A1 and the M18. Well placed for Nottinghamshire, South Yorkshire and Lincolnshire